Parallel Performance in Multi-physics Simulation
A comprehensive simulation of solidification/melting processes requires the simultaneous representation of free surface fluid flow, heat transfer, phase change, non-linear solid mechanics and, possibly, electromagnetics together with their interactions in what is now referred to as ’multi-physics’ simulation. A 3D computational procedure and software tool, PHYSICA, embedding the above multi-physics models using finite volume methods on unstructured meshes (FV-UM) has been developed. Multi-physics simulations are extremely compute intensive and a strategy to parallelise such codes has, therefore, been developed. This strategy has been applied to PHYSICA and evaluated on a range of challenging multi-physics problems drawn from actual industrial cases.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abaqus. URL: http://www.hks.com.
- 2.G. M. Amdahl. Validity of the single-processor approach to achieving large scale computing capabilities. In Proc AFIPS, pages 483–485, 1967.Google Scholar
- 3.Ansys. URL: http://www.ansys.com.
- 5.CFX. URL: http://www.software.aea.com/cfx. AEA.
- 7.Concerto. URL: http://www.vectorfields.co.uk. Vector Fields.
- 8.N. Croft, K. Pericleous, and M. Cross. PHYSICA: a multiphysics environment for complex flow processes. Numerical Methods in Laminar and Turbulent Flows, Vol IX:1269–1280, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.M.Cross et al. Computational modelling of casting processes-a multi-physics challenge. In G. Irons and A. Cramb, editors, Brimacombe Memorial Symposium Proceedings, pages 439–450. Met Soc (Canada), 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.Fluent. URL: http://www.fluent.com.
- 12.JOSTLE. URL: http://www.gre.ac.uk/jostle. University of Creenwich.
- 15.MPI: Message Passing Interface. URL: http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/index.html. Argonne National Laboratory.
- 18.K. Pericleous, M. Cross, M. Hughes, and D. Cook. Mathematical modelling of the solidification of liquid tin with electromagnetic stirring. Jnl of Magnetohydrody-namics, 32(4):472–478, 1996.Google Scholar
- 19.Physica. URL: http://www.multi-physics.com. University of Creenwich.
- 20.PVM Parallel Virtual Machine. URL: http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvmhome.html. Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- 21.C. Rhie and W. Chow. A numerical study of the flow past an isolated airfoil with trailing edge separation. JAIAA, 21:1525–1532, 1982.Google Scholar