A Robust Header Compression Simulator & Visualizer
IP-based realtime multimedia communication provides for a large Layer-3 and Layer-4 header overhead due to usually small payload sizes of single packets in a realtime flow. Because of the restricted bandwidth of wireless links, header compression represents an essential prerequisite for the Mobile Internet, i.e., whenever an IP-based mobile end device has to communicate with an IP-based infrastructure. RFC 3095 on Robust Header Compression (ROHC) represents the state-of- the-art header compression proposal. It provides a complex framework that allows to fine-tune compression efficiency versus robustness against link errors. We present a Java-based simulator/visualizer currently running ROHC Profile 2 (UDP/IP) in Uni-directional Mode that allows experimentation with all relevant ROHC parameters (like state transition timers and repeat counters) as well as with various link conditions. We present the implementation and report on simulation results. An average header length of about 2.8 bytes is achieved. In general, the tool is useful as an educational tool for assessing ROHC performance and to see Robust Header Compression ‘at work’, i.e., to explore the underlying parameter space. For the future, the simulator will be also used to generate realistic audio/video packet flows for evaluation with respect to audio/video decompression handling in the presence of packet losses.
KeywordsPacket Loss Rate Static Context Compression Efficiency Cyclic Redundancy Check State Transition Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bormann, C., et al.: Robust Header Compression (ROHC): Framework and four profiles: RTP, UDP, ESP, and uncompressed. RFC 3095, July 2001Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobson, V.: Compressing TCP/IP Headers for Low-Speed Serial Links. RFC 1144, Feb. 1990Google Scholar
- 4.Degermark, M., Nordgren, B., and Pink, S.: IP Header Compression. RFC 2507, Feb. 1999Google Scholar
- 5.Casner, S., Jacobson, V.: Compressing IP/UDP/RTP Headers for Low-Speed Serial Links. RFC 2508, February 1999Google Scholar
- 7.Svanbro, K., Hannu, H., Jonsson, L., and Degermark, M.: Wireless Real Time IP-services enabled by header compression. Proc. IEEE VTC, May 2000Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, Z. et al.: ACE: A Robust and Efficient IP/UDP/RTP Header Compression Scheme. Internet Draft (work in progress), “draft-ace-robust-hc-01.txt”, March 2000Google Scholar
- 9.Quittek, J., Hartenstein, H., Stiemerling, M.: Definitions of Managed Objects for Robust HeaderCompression. Internet Draft (work in progress), “draft-quittek-rohc-mib-00.txt”, November 2001Google Scholar