Improved Tree Decomposition Based Algorithms for Domination-like Problems
We present an improved dynamic programming strategy for dominating set and related problems on graphs that are given together with a tree decomposition of width k. We obtain an O(4kn) algorithm for dominating set, where n is the number of nodes of the tree decomposition. This result improves the previously best known algorithm of Telle and Proskurowski running in time O(9kn). The key to our result is an argument on a certain “monotonicity” in the table updating process during dynamic programming.
Moreover, various other domination-like problems as discussed by Telle and Proskurowski are treated with our technique. We gain improvements on the base of the exponential term in the running time ranging between 55% and 68% in most of these cases. These results mean significant breakthroughs concerning practical implementations.
Classificationalgorithms and data structures combinatorics and graph theory computational complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. Alber, F. Dorn, and R. Niedermeier. Experiments on optimally solving parameterized problems on planar graphs. Manuscript, December 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Brandstädt, V. B. Le, and J. P. Spinrad. Graph Classes: a Survey. SIAM Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.R. G. Downey and M. R. Fellows. Parameterized Complexity. Monographs in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.T. W. Haynes, S. T. Hedetniemi, and P. J. Slater. Fundamentals of Domination in Graphs. Monographs and textbooks in Pure and Applied Mathematics Vol. 208, Marcel Dekker, 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.T. W. Haynes, S. T. Hedetniemi, and P. J. Slater eds.. Domination in Graphs; Advanced Topics. Monographs and textbooks in Pure and Applied Mathematics Vol. 209, Marcel Dekker, 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.A. M. C. A. Koster, H. L. Bodlaender, and S. P. M. Hoesel. Treewidth: Computational Experiments. Electronic Notes in Discrete Mathematics 8, Elsevier Science Publishers, 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.D. Kratsch. Algorithms. Chapter 8 in .Google Scholar
- 20.J. A. Telle and A. Proskurowski. Practical algorithms on partial k-trees with an application to domination-like problems. In Proceedings 3rd WADS’93, Springer-Verlag LNCS 709, pp. 610–621, 1993.Google Scholar