The Reconstruction of a Bicolored Domino Tiling from Two Projections
We challenge the problem of the reconstruction of a bicolored domino tiling of a rectangle from its horizontal and vertical projections. We give two NP-completeness results after having defined two non equivalent and very natural notions of projections on a generic bicolored domino tiling. The more general problem of the reconstruction of monochromatic domino tilings is still left open.
KeywordsDomino tiling Reconstruction Problem NP-completeness
- 2.H. Ryser, Combinatorial Mathematics, Mathematical Association of America and Quinn & Boden, Rahway, New Jersey, (1963)Google Scholar
- 3.M.R. Garey, D.S. Johnson, Computers and intractability: A guide to the theory of NP-completeness, Freeman, New York, (1979)Google Scholar
- 4.C. Dürr, E. Goles, I. Rapaport, E. Rémila, Tiling withbars under tomographic constraints Theoretical Computer Science to appear.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Picouleau, Reconstruction of a coloured domino tiling from its projections Theoretical Computer Science submitted.Google Scholar
- 7.G. J. Woeginger, The reconstruction of polyominoes from their orthogonal projections, Inf. Proc. Letters 77 pagg.225–229 (2001).Google Scholar