Rewriting Unions of General Conjunctive Queries Using Views
The problem of finding contained rewritings of queries using views is of great importance in mediated data integration systems. In this paper, we first present a general approach for finding contained rewritings of unions of conjunctive queries with arbitrary built-in predicates. Our approach is based on an improved method for testing conjunctive query containment in this context. Although conceptually simple, our approach generalizes previous methods for finding contained rewritings of conjunctive queries and is more powerful in the sense that many rewritings that can not be found using existing methods can be found by our approach. Furthermore, nullity-generating dependencies over the base relations can be easily handled. We then present a simplified approach which is less complete, but is much faster than the general approach, and it still finds maximum rewritings in several special cases. Our approaches compare favorably with existing methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.X. Qian. Query folding. In Proc. of 12th ICDE, pages 48–55, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.P.-A. Larson and H. Z. Yang. Computing queries from derived relations. In Proc. of VLDB, pages 259–269, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Z. Yang and P.-A. Larson. Query transformation for PSJ-queries. In VLDB, pages 245–254, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Levy. Answering queries using views: a survey. Technical report, Computer Science Dept, Washington Univ., 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Levy, A. Rajaraman, and J. J. Ordille. Querying heterogeneous information sources using source descriptions. In Proc. of VLDB, pages 251–262, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.O. M. Duschka and M. R. Genesereth. Answering recursive queries using views. In Proc. 16th PODS, pages 109–116, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Pottinger and A. Levy. A scalable algorithm for answering queries using views. In Proc. of VLDB, pages 484–495, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Mitra. An algorithm for answering queries efficiently using views. In Proc. of the 12th Australasian database conference, 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.O. Duschka, M. Genesereth, and A. Levy. Recursive query plans for data integration. Journal of Logic Programming, special issue on Logic Based Heterogeneous Information Systems, pages 778–784, 2000.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Abiteboul and O. Duschka. Complexity of answering queries using materialized views. In Proc. of PODS, pages 254–263, 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.M. J. Maher. A logic programming view of CLP. In Proc. 10th International Conference on Logic Programming, pages 737–753, 1993.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Maher and J. Wang. Optimizing queries in extended relational databases. In Proc. of the 11th DEXAc onference, LNCS 1873, pages 386–396, 2000.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Wang, M. Maher, and R. Topor. Rewriting general conjunctive queries using views. In Proc. of the 13th Australasian Database Conference, Australia, 28 January–1 February 2002.Google Scholar