ProPolyne: A Fast Wavelet-Based Algorithm for Progressive Evaluation of Polynomial Range-Sum Queries
Many range aggregate queries can be efficiently derived from a class of fundamental queries: the polynomial range-sums. After demonstrating how any range-sum can be evaluated exactly in the wavelet domain, we introduce a novel pre-aggregation method called ProPolyne to evaluate arbitrary polynomial range-sums progressively. At each step of the computation, ProPolyne makes the best possible wavelet approximation of the submitted query. The result is a data-independent approximate query answering technique which uses data structures that can be maintained efficiently. ProPolyne’s performance as an exact algorithm is comparable to the best known MOLAP techniques. Our experimental results show that this approach of approximating queries rather than compressing data produces consistent and superior approximate results when compared to typical wavelet-based data compression techniques.
KeywordsRange Query Haar Wavelet Query Evaluation Data Cube Aggregate Query
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. L. Ambite, C. Shahabi, R. R. Schmidt, and A. Philpot. Fast approximate evaluation of OLAP queries for integrated statistical data. In Nat’l Conf. for Digital Government Research, Los Angeles, May 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.K. Chakrabarti, M. N. Garofalakis, R. Rastogi, and K. Shim. Approximate query processing using wavelets. In Proc. VLDB, pages 111–122, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.C.-Y. Chan and Y. E. Ionnidis. Hierarchical cubes for range-sum queries. In Proc. VLDB, pages 675–686, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Geffner, D. Agrawal, and A. E. Abbadi. The dynamic data cube. In Proc. EDBT, pages 237–253, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Geffner, D. Agrawal, A. E. Abbadi, and T. Smith. Relative prefix sums: An efficient approach for querying dynamic OLAP data cubes. In Proc. ICDE, pages 328–335, 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.A. C. Gilbert, Y. Kotidis, S. Muthukrishnan, and M. J. Strauss. Optimal and approximate computation of summary statistics for range aggregates. In Proc. ACM PODS, pages 228–237, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.A. C. Gilbert, Y. Kotidis, S. Muthukrishnan, and M. J. Strauss. Surfing wavelets on streams: One-pass summaries for approximate aggregate queries. In Proc. VLDB, 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Gunopulos, G. Kollios, V. J. Tsotras, and C. Domeniconi. Approximating multidimensional aggregate range queries over real attributes. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pages 463–474, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.J. M. Hellerstein, P. J. Haas, and H. Wang. Online aggregation. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pages 171–182, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Ho, R. Agrawal, N. Megiddo, and R. Srikant. Range queries in OLAP data cubes. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pages 73–88, 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.I. Lazaridis and S. Mehrotra. Progressive approximate aggregate queries with a multi-resolution tree structure. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pages 401–412, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.V. Poosala and V. Ganti. Fast approximate answers to aggregate queries on a data cube. In Proc. SSDBM, pages 24–33, 1999.Google Scholar
- 14.W. Press, S. Teukolsky, W. Vetterling, and B. Flannery. Numerical Recipes in C. Cambridge Univ. Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.M. Riedewald, D. Agrawal, and A. E. Abbadi. pCube: Update-efficient online aggregation with progressive feedback. In Proc. SSDBM, pages 95–108, 2000.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Riedewald, D. Agrawal, and A. E. Abbadi. Space-efficient datacubes for dynamic environments. In Proc. of Conf. on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (DaWaK), pages 24–33, 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.M. Riedewald, D. Agrawal, and A. E. Abbadi. Flexible data cubes for online aggregation. In Proc. ICDT, pages 159–173, 2001.Google Scholar
- 18.R. R. Schmidt and C. Shahabi. Propolyne: A fast wavelet-based technique for progressive evaluation of polynomial range-sum queries, 2001. USC Tech. Report, available at http://infolab.usc.edu/publication.html.
- 19.R. R. Schmidt and C. Shahabi. Wavelet based density estimators for modeling OLAP data sets. In SIAM Workshop on Mining Scientific Datasets, Chicago, April 2001. Available at http://infolab.usc.edu/publication.html.
- 20.J. Shanmugasundaram, U. Fayyad, and P. Bradley. Compressed data cubes for OLAP aggregate query approximation on continuous dimensions. In Proc. SIGKDD, August 1999.Google Scholar
- 21.S.-C. Shao. Multivariate and multidimensional OLAP. In Proc. EDBT, pages 120–134, 1998.Google Scholar
- 22.J. S. Vitter and M. Wang. Approximate computation of multidimensional aggregates of sparse data using wavelets. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pages 193–204, 1999.Google Scholar
- 23.M. V. Wickerhauser. Adapted Wavelet Analysis: From Theory to Software. IEEE Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 24.Y.-L. Wu, D. Agrawal, and A. E. Abbadi. Using wavelet decomposition to support progressive and approximate range-sum queries over data cubes. In Proc. CIKM, pages 414–421, 2000.Google Scholar