Insight into Data through Visualization
Computer graphics, scientific visualization, information visualization, and graph drawing are areas which deal with visual information layout. They all use the remarkable properties of the human visual perception to rapidly absorb and analyse visual information. The paper discusses important visualization aspects and gives examples of how visualization techniques facilitate insight into data characteristics. The connection between visualization and graph drawing is shortly discussed.
- [And01]K. Andrews. Information visualisation. http://www2.iicm.edu/ivis, 2001.
- [BWKG01]A. Vilanova Bartroli, R. Wegenkittl, A. König, and E. Gröller. Virtual colon unfolding. In IEEE Visualization 2001 Proceedings. IEEE Computer Society, October 2001.Google Scholar
- [CMH+01]B. Csebfalvi, L. Mroz, H. Hauser, A. König, and E. Gröller. Fast visualization of object contours by non-photorealistic volume rendering. Computer Graphics Forum, 20(3):C–452–C–460, September 2001.Google Scholar
- [CMS99]St. Card, J. Mackinlay, and B. Shneiderman. Readings in Information Visualization. Morgan Kaufmann, 1999.Google Scholar
- [FG98]A. Fuhrmann and E. Gröller. Real-time techniques for 3D flow visualization. In IEEE Visualization 1998 Proceedings, pages 305–312. IEEE Computer Society, October 1998.Google Scholar
- [FvDFH96]J. Foley, A. van Dam, S. Feiner, and J. Hughes. Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, Second Edition in C. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1996.Google Scholar
- [HB96]D. Hearn and M. P. Baker. Computer Graphics, C Version. Prentice Hall, 1996.Google Scholar
- [KG01]A. König and E. Gröller. Mastering transfer function specification by using VolumePro technology. In Spring Conference on Computer Graphics 2001, pages 279–286, April 2001.Google Scholar
- [KMH01]R. Kosara, S. Miksch, and H. Hauser. Semantic depth of field. In IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization Proceedings. IEEE Computer Society, October 2001.Google Scholar
- [SFH+01]D. Schmalstieg, A. Fuhrmann, G. Hesina, Zs. Szalavari, L. M. Encarnação, M. Gervautz, and W. Purgathofer. The Studierstube augmented reality project. In SIGGRAPH 2001 Course Notes (no. 27, Augmented Reality: The Interface is Everywhere). ACM Siggraph, 2001.Google Scholar
- [SM00]H. Schumann and W. Müller. Visualisierung-Grundlagen und allgemeine Methoden. Springer, 2000.Google Scholar
- [Tra95]Ch. Traxler. Representation and realistic rendering of natural scenes with directed cyclic graphs. http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/rendering/csg-graphs/index.html, 1995.
- [WGP97]R. Wegenkittl, E. Gröller, and W. Purgathofer. Visualizing the dynamical behavior of wonderland. IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, 17(6):71–79, December 1997.Google Scholar
- [WLG97]R. Wegenkittl, H. Löffelmann, and E. Gröller. Visualizing the behavior of higher dimensional dynamical systems. In IEEE Visualization’ 97 Proceedings, pages 119–125. IEEE Computer Society, October 1997.Google Scholar