Drawing Graphs Symmetrically in Three Dimensions
- First Online:
In this paper, we investigate symmetric graph drawing in three dimensions. We show that the problem of drawing a graph with a maximum number of symmetries in three dimensions is NP-hard. Then we present a polynomial time algorithm for finding maximum number of three dimensional symmetries in planar graphs.
- 1.L. Babai, Automorphism Groups, Isomorphism, and Reconstruction, Chapter 27 of Handbook of Combinatorics, Volume 2, (Ed. Graham, Groetschel and Lovasz), Elsevier Science, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.J. E. Hopcroft and R. E. Tarjan, Isomorphism of Planar Graphs, Complexity of Computer Computations, R. E. Miller and J. W. Thatcher, eds., Plenum Press, New York, pp. 131–151, 1972.Google Scholar
- 12.J. E. Hopcroft and J. K. Wong, Linear Time Algorithm for Isomorphism of Planar Graphs, Proceedings of the Sixth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 172–184, 1974.Google Scholar
- 13.R. J. Lipton, S. C. North and J. S. Sandberg, A Method for Drawing Graphs, In Proc. ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pp. 153–160, ACM, 1985.Google Scholar
- 18.J. Manning, Geometric Symmetry in Graphs, Ph.D. Thesis, Purdue Univ., 1990.Google Scholar