Developing Adaptive Internet Based Courses with the Authoring System NetCoach
Developing adaptive internet based learning courses usually requires a lot of programming efforts to provide session management, keeping track of the learners current state, and adapting the interface layout to specific requirements. NetCoach is designed to enable authors to develop adaptive learning courses without programming knowledge. In this paper, we describe the adaptive, the adaptable, the interactive, and the communicative features of NetCoach. Both authors and tutors are supported in many ways to develop and manage courses via an online interface. Experiences with NetCoach courses in different domains and settings have shown that learners profit from the adaptive features.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brusilovsky, P., Eklund, J., Schwarz, E. Web-based education for all: A tool for developing adaptive courseware. In Computer Networks and ISDN Systems. Proceedings of Seventh International World Wide Web Conference, 14–18 April 1998 (30, 291–300).Google Scholar
- 3.Bull, S., Pain, H. “Did I say what I think I said, and do you agree with me?” Inspecting and questioning the student model. In J. Greer Artificial Intelligence in Education, Proceedings of AI-ED’95, 7th World Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education, 16-19 August 1995. Washington, DC, AACE (501–508).1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Goldberg, M. W., Salari, S., Swoboda, P. World Wide Web-course tool: An environment for building WWW-based courses. Journal of Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 28 (7–11), 1219–1231. 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.Murray, T., Shen, T., Piemonte, J., Condit, C., Thibedeau, J. Adaptivity in the MetaLinks hyper-book authoring framework. In Workshop Proceedings of Adaptive and Intelligent Web-Based Education Systems workshop at ITS 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Sanrach, C., Grandbastien, M. ECSAIWeb: A web-based authoring system to create adaptive learning systems. In P. Brusilovsky, O. Stock, C. Strapparava Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web-Based Systems. International Conference, AH 2000 (214–226). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 9.Weber, G. Adaptive learning systems in the World Wide Web. In J. Kay User modeling: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference, UM99 (371–378). Vienna: Springer.Google Scholar
- 10.Weber, G., Specht, M. User modeling and adaptive navigation support in WWWbased tutoring systems. In A. Jameson, C. Tasso User Modeling: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference, UM97 (289–300). Vienna: Springer.Google Scholar
- 11.Weibelzahl, S. Evaluation of adaptive systems. In M. Bauer, P. J. Gmytrasiewicz, J. Vassileva User Modeling: Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference, UM2001 (292–294). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar