Ground Tree Rewriting Graphs of Bounded Tree Width
We analyze structural properties of ground tree rewriting graphs, generated by rewriting systems that perform replacements at the front of finite, ranked trees. The main result is that the class of ground tree rewriting graphs of bounded tree width exactly corresponds to the class of pushdown graphs. Furthermore we show that ground tree rewriting graphs of bounded clique width also have bounded tree width.
KeywordsNormal Form Graph Isomorphism Rational Graph Reachability Problem Ground Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bar98]Klaus Barthelmann. When can an equational simple graph be generated by hyperedge replacement? In Proceedings of MFCS’ 98, volume 1450 of LNCS, pages 543–552. Springer-Verlag, 1998.Google Scholar
- [BG00]Achim Blumensath and Erich Grädel. Automatic structures. In Proceedings of LICS’ 00, pages 51–62. IEEE Computer Society Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- [Blu01]Achim Blumensath. Prefix-recognizable graphs and monadic second order logic. Technical Report AIB-2001-06, RWTH Aachen, May 2001.Google Scholar
- [Cau96]Didier Caucal. On infinite transition graphs having a decidable monadic theory. In Proceedings of ICALP’ 96, volume 1099 of LNCS. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [CG90]J.L. Coquidé and R. Gilleron. Proofs and reachability problem for ground rewrite systems. In Aspects and Prospects of Theoretical Computer Science, volume 464 of LNCS, pages 120–129. Springer, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Die00]Reinhard Diestel. Graph Theory. Springer, second edition, 2000.Google Scholar
- [DT90]Max Dauchet and Sophie Tison. The theory of ground rewrite systems is decidable. In Proceedings of LICS’ 90, pages 242–248. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- [GW00]Frank Gurski and Egon Wanke. The tree-width of clique-width bounded graphs without Kn,n. In Proceedings of WG 2000, volume 1928 of LNCS, pages 196–205. Springer-Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- [Mor99]Christophe Morvan. On rational graphs. In Proceedings of FoSSaCS’ 99, volume 1784 of LNCS, pages 252–266. Springer, 1999.Google Scholar