MnM: Ontology Driven Semi-automatic and Automatic Support for Semantic Markup
An important precondition for realizing the goal of a semantic web is the ability to annotate web resources with semantic information. In order to carry out this task, users need appropriate representation languages, ontologies, and support tools. In this paper we present MnM, an annotation tool which provides both automated and semi-automated support for annotating web pages with semantic contents. MnM integrates a web browser with an ontology editor and provides open APIs to link to ontology servers and for integrating information extraction tools. MnM can be seen as an early example of the next generation of ontology editors, being web-based, oriented to semantic markup and providing mechanisms for large-scale automatic markup of web pages.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Bechhofer and C. Goble: Towards Annotation Using DAML+OIL. First International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP 2001). Workshop on Semantic Markup and Annotation. Victoria, B.C., Canada. October 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Brickley, and R. Guha: Resource Description Framework(RDF) Schema Specification 1.0. Candidate recommendation, World Wide Web Consortium, 2000. URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-rdf-schema-20000327.
- 3.F. Ciravegna: Adaptive Information Extraction from Text by Rule Induction and Generalisation, Proc. of 17th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2001), Seattle, August 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.F. Ciravegna: LP2 an Adaptive Algorithm for Information Extraction from Web-related Texts. Proc. of the IJCAI-2001 Workshop on Adaptive Text Extraction and Mining held in conjunction with the 17th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-01), August, 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Ciravegna: Challenges in Information Extraction from Text for Knowledge Management in IEEE Intelligent Systems and Their Applications, November 2001, (Trend and Controversies).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Ciravegna and D. Petrelli: User Involvement in Adaptive Information Extraction: Position Paper in Proceedings of the IJCAI-2001 Workshop on Adaptive Text Extraction and Mining held in conjunction with the 17th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-01), August, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Domingue: Tadzebao and WebOnto: Discussing, Browsing, and Editing Ontologies on the Web. Proceedings of the 11th Banff Knowledge Acquisition Workshop, Banff, Alberta, Canada, April 18–23, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Domingue and P. Scott: KMi Planet: A Web Based News Server. Asia Pacific Computer Human Interaction Conference (APCHF’98), Shonan Village Center, Hayama-machi, Kanagawa, Japan, 15–17 July, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Domingue and E. Motta: Planet-Onto: From News Publishing to Integrated Knowledge Management Support. IEEE Intelligent Systems Special Issue on “Knowledge Management and Knowledge Distribution over the Internet”, May/June, 2000, pp. 26–32. (ISSN 1094-7167).Google Scholar
- 10.E. A. Feigenbaum: The art of artificial intelligence 1: Themes and case studies of knowl edge engineering. Technical report, Pub. no. STAN-SC-77-621, Stanford University, Department of Computer Science, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.D. Fensel. and E. Motta: Structured Development of Problem Solving Methods. Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering 13(6):9131–932, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.S. Handschuh and S. Staab and A. Maedche: CREAM-Creating relational metadata with a component-based, ontology-driven annotation framework. First International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP 2001), Victoria B.C., October 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.P. Hayes: RDF Model Theory, W3C Working Draft, February 2002 URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/.
- 15.J. Heflin and J. Hendler: A Portrait of the Semantic Web in Action. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 16(2), 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.J. Kahan and M. Koivunen and E. Prud’Hommeaux and R. Swick: Annotea: Open RDF Infrastructure for Shared Web Annotations. In Proc. of the WWW10 International Conference. Hong Kong, 2001.Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Kalfoglou and J. Domingue and E. Motta.and M. Vargas-Vera and S. Buckingham Shum: MyPlanet: an ontology-driven Web based personalised news service. Proceedings of the IJCAI’01 workshop on Ontologies and Information Sharing, Seattle, WA, USA 2001.Google Scholar
- 18.P. Kogut and W. Holmes: AeroDAML: Applying Information Extraction to Generate DAML Annotations from Web Pages. First International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP 2001). Workshop on Knowledge Markup and Semantic Annotation, Victoria, B.C., Canada, October 2001.Google Scholar
- 19.N. Kushmerick and D. Weld and R. Doorenbos: Wrapper induction for information extraction, Proc. of 15th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI-97.Google Scholar
- 20.O. Lassila and R. Swick: Resource Description Framework (RDF): Model and Syntax Specification. Recommendation, World Wide Web Consortium, 1999. URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-svntax/.
- 21.E. Riloff: An Empirical Study of Automated Dictionary Construction for Information Extraction in Three Domains. The AI Journal, 85, 101–134, 1996.Google Scholar
- 22.D. Maynard and V. Tablan and H. Cunningham and C. Ursu and O. Saggion and K. Bontcheva and Y. Wilks: Architectural Elements of Language Engineering Robustness. Journal of Natural Language Engineering-Special Issue on Robust Methods in Analysis of Natural Language Data, forthcoming, 2002.Google Scholar
- 23.S. McIlraith and T. C. Son.and H. Zeng: Semantic Web Services, IEEE Intelligent Systems, Special Issue on the Semantic Web, Volume 16, No. 2, pp. 46–53, March/April, 2001.Google Scholar
- 24.R. S. Mickalski and I. Mozetic and J. Hong and H. Lavrack: The multi purpose incremental learning system AQ15 and its testing application to three medical domains’, in Proceedings of the 5th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Philadelphia. Morgan Kaufmann publisher, 1986.Google Scholar
- 25.E. Motta: Reusable Components for Knowledge Models. IOS Press, Amsterdam, 1999.Google Scholar
- 26.E. Riloff: An Empirical Study of Automated Dictionary Construction for Information Extraction in Three Domains. The AI Journal, 85, 101–134, 1996.Google Scholar
- 27.S. Staab and A. Mädche and S. Handschuh: An Annotation Framework for the Semantic Web. In: S. Ishizaki (ed.), Proc. of The First International Workshop on MultiMedia Annotation. January, 30–31, 2001. Tokyo, Japan.Google Scholar
- 28.M. Vargas-Vera and J. Domingue and Y. Kalfoglou and E. Motta and S. Buckingham-Shum: Template-driven information extraction for populating ontologies. Proc of the IJCAI’01 Workshop on Ontology Learning, Seattle, WA, USA 2001.Google Scholar
- 29.M. Vargas-Vera and E. Motta and J. Domingue and S. Buckingham Shum and M. Lanzoni: Knowledge Extraction by using an Ontology-bases Annotation Tool. First International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP 2001). Workshop on Knowledge Markup and Semantic Annotation, Victoria B.C., Canada, October 2001.Google Scholar