An Evaluation of Buffering Algorithms in Fuzzy GISs
Fuzzy Geographic Information Systems (GISs) are part of a qualitative approach to spatial reasoning, and buffering in fuzzy GISs is an operation that is analogous to the core buffering operation in standard GISs. This paper contains an analysis of the implementation of buffering operations over fuzzy GISs represented as fuzzy raster maps, and suggests a number of improvements to these operations. It also briefly summarizes research issues that are raised in this investigation.
KeywordsKernel Density Estimation Geographic Information System Graphic Hardware Membership Grade Spatial Reasoning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brimicombe. A Universal Translator of Linguistic Hedges for the Handling of Uncertainty and Fitness-of-Use in GIS. In: Z. Kemp, ed., Innovations in GIS 4, pp. 115–126. Taylor & Francis, London, England, 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.H.W. Guesgen and J. Hertzberg. Algorithms for Buffering Fuzzy Raster Maps. Proceedings ofFLAIRS-01, pp. 542–546, Key West, Florida, May 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.H.W. Guesgen, J. Hertzberg, R. Lobb, and A. Mantler. First Steps Towards Buffering Fuzzy Maps with Graphics Hardware. Proceedings of FOIS-01 Workshop on Spatial Vagueness, Uncertainty and Granularity (SVUG-01), Ogunquit, Maine, October 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Hoff, T. Culver, J. Keyser, M. Lin, and D. Manocha. Fast Computation of Generalized Voronoi Diagrams Using Graphics Hardware. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH-99, pp. 277–286, Los Angeles, California, 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Maguire. An Overview and Definition of GIS. In: D. Maguire, M. Goodchild, and D. Rind, eds., Geographical Information Systems: Principles and Applications, pp. 21—43. Longman Scientific & Technical, Essex, England, 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Molenaar. The Extensional Uncertainty of Spatial Objects. Proceedings of Spatial Data Handling, pp. 9B.1–13, Delft, The Netherlands, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.Scott. Multivariate Density Estimation: Theory, Practice, and Visualisation. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Worboys. GIS: A Computing Perspective. Taylor & Francis, London, England, 1995.Google Scholar