GVR: A New Genetic Representation for the Vehicle Routing Problem
In this paper we analyse a new evolutionary approach to the vehicle routing problem. We present Genetic Vehicle Representation (GVR), a two-level representational scheme designed to deal in an effective way with all the information that candidate solutions must encode. Experimental results show that this method is both effective and robust, allowing the discovery of new best solutions for some well-known benchmarks.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Genetic Operator Constraint Programming Vehicle Route Problem Genetic Representation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Thangiah, S., Potvin, J. and Sun, T. (1996). Heuristic Approaches to Vehicle Routing with Backhauls and Time Windows, Int. Journal of Computers and Operations Research, pp. 1043–1057.Google Scholar
- 3.Prosser, P. and Shaw, P. (1997). Study of Greedy Search with Multiple Improvement Heuristics for Vehicle Routing Problems, Technical Report RR/96/201, Department of Computer Science, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.Google Scholar
- 4.Tan, K. C., Lee, L. H., Zhu, Q. L. and Ou K. (2000). Heuristic Methods for Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows, Artificial Intelligent in Engineering, pp. 281–295.Google Scholar
- 5.Bent, R. and Hentenryck, P. V. (2001). A Two-Stage Hybrid Local Search for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows, Technical Report, CS-01-06, Brown University.Google Scholar
- 6.Shaw, P. (1998). Using Constraint Programming and Local Search Methods to Solve Vehicle Routing Problems, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming (CP’ 98), M. Maher and J. Puget (eds.), pp. 417–431.Google Scholar
- 7.Gambardella, L. M., Taillard, E. and Agazzi, G. (1999) MACS-VRPTW: A Multiple Ant Colony System for Vehicle Routing Problems with Time Windows, In D. Corne, M. Dorigo and F. Glover (eds.), New Ideas in Optimization. McGraw-Hill, London, UK, pp. 63–76.Google Scholar
- 8.Bräysy, O. (2001). Genetic Algorithm for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows, Arpakannus 1/2001, Special Issue on Bioinformatics and Genetic Algorithms, pp.33–38.Google Scholar
- 9.Thangiah, S. R. (1995). Vehicle Routing with Time Windows Using Genetic Algorithms, Application Handbook of Genetic Algorithms: New Frontiers, Volume II. Chambers, L.(ed), pp. 253–277, CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhu, K. (2000). A New Genetic Algorithm for VRPTW, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Las Vegas, USA.Google Scholar
- 12.Louis, S. J., Yin, X. and Yuan, Z. Y. (1999). Multiple Vehicle Routing With Time Windows Using Genetic Algorithms, Proceedings of the Congress of Evolutionary Computation (CEC-99), pp. 1804–1808.Google Scholar
- 13.Duncan, T. (1995). Experiments in the Use of Neighbourhood Search Techniques for Vehicle Routing. Report AIAI-TR-176, University of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- 14.Machado, P., Tavares, J., Pereira, F. B. and Costa, E. (2002). Vehicle Routing Problem: Doing it the Evolutionary Way, To appear at GECCO-2002 Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 15.Available at: http://www.branchandcut.org/VRP/data/.