Brocade: Landmark Routing on Overlay Networks
Recent work such as Tapestry, Pastry, Chord and CAN provide efficient location utilities in the form of overlay infrastructures. These systems treat nodes as if they possessed uniform resources, such as network bandwidth and connectivity. In this paper, we propose a systemic design for a secondaryoverlay of super-nodes which can be used to deliver messages directly to the destination’s local network, thus improving route efficiency. We demonstrate the potential performance benefits by proposing a name mapping scheme for a Tapestry-Tapestry secondary overlay, and show preliminary simulation results demonstrating significant routing performance improvement.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chu, Y., Rao, S. G., AND Zhang, H. A case for end system multicast. In Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS (June 2000), pp. 1–12.Google Scholar
- Dabek, F., Kaashoek, M. F., Karger, D., Morris, R., AND Stoica, I. Widearea cooperative storage with CFS. In Proceedings of SOSP (October 2001), ACM.Google Scholar
- Kubiatowicz, J., et al. OceanStore: An architecture for global-scale persistent storage. In Proceedings of ACM ASPLOS (November 2000), ACM.Google Scholar
- Ratnasamy, S., Francis, P., Handley, M., Karp, R., AND Schenker, S. A scalable content-addressable network. In Proceedings of SIGCOMM (August 2001), ACM.Google Scholar
- Rekhter, Y., AND Li, T. An architecture for IP address allocation with CIDR. RFC 1518, http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1518.txt, 1993.
- Rowstron, A., AND Druschel, P. Pastry: Scalable, distributed object location and routing for large-scale peer-to-peer systems. In Proceedings of IFIP/ACM Middleware 2001 (November 2001).Google Scholar
- Rowstron, A., AND Druschel, P. Storage management and caching in PAST, a large-scale, persistent peer-to-peer storage utility. In Proceedings of SOSP (October 2001), ACM.Google Scholar
- Stoica, I., Morris, R., Karger, D., Kaashoek, M. F., AND Balakrishnan, H. Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications. In Proceedings of SIGCOMM (August 2001), ACM.Google Scholar
- Zegura, E. W., Calvert, K., AND Bhattacharjee, S. How to model an internetwork. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM (1996).Google Scholar
- Zhao, B. Y., Kubiatowicz, J. D., AND Joseph, A. D. Tapestry: An infrastructure for fault-tolerant wide-area location and routing. Tech. Rep. UCB/CSD-01-1141, UC Berkeley, EECS, 2001.Google Scholar