Web Structure, Dynamics and Page Quality
This paper is aimed at the study of quantitative measures of the relation between Web structure, page recency, and quality of Web pages. Quality is studied using different link-based metrics considering their relationship with the structure of the Web and the last modification time of a page. We show that, as expected, Pagerank is biased against new pages. As a subproduct we propose a Pagerank variant that includes page recency into account and we obtain information on how recency is related with Web structure.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akwan search engine: Main page. http://www.akwan.com, 1999.
- Baeza-Yates, R., AND Castillo, C. Relating web characteristics with link analysis. In String Processing and Information Retrieval (2001), IEEE Computer Science Press.Google Scholar
- Brewington, B., Cybenko, G., Stata, R., Bharat, K., AND Maghoul, F. How dynamic is the web? In 9th World Wide Web Conference (2000).Google Scholar
- Broder, A., Kumar, R., Maghoul, F., Raghavan, P., Rajagopalan, S., Stata, R., AND Tomkins, A. Graph structure in the Web: Experiments and models. In 9th World Wide Web Conference (2000).Google Scholar
- Cho, J., AND Garcia-Molina, H. The evolution of the Web and implications for an incremental crawler. In The VLDB Journal (2000).Google Scholar
- Douglas, F., Feldmann, A., Krishnamurthy, B., AND Mogul, J. Rate of change and other metrics: a live study of the World Wide Web. In USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems (1997).Google Scholar
- Google search engine: Main page. http://www.google.com/, 1998.
- Kleinberg, J. Authoritative sources in a hyperlinked environment. In 9th Symposium on discrete algorithms (1998).Google Scholar
- Levene, M., AND Poulovassilis, A. Report on International Workshop on Web Dynamics, London, January 2001.Google Scholar
- Netcraft web server survey. http://www.netcraft.com/survey/, June 2002.
- Nua internet-how many online. http://www.nua.ie/surveys/howmanyonline/, February 2002.
- Page, L., Brin, S., Motwani, R., AND Winograd, T. The Pagerank citation algorithm: bringing order to the Web. Tech. rep., Dept. of Computer Science, Stanford University, 1999.Google Scholar
- TodoCL search engine: Main page. http://www.todocl.cl/, 2000.