Methods of Increasing Modelling Power for Safety Analysis, Applied to a Turbine Digital Control System
The paper describes a probabilistic approach based on methods of increasing modelling power and different analytical tractability, to analyse safety of turbine digital control system. First, a Fault-Tree (FT) has been built to model the system, assuming independent failures and binary states of its components. To include multi-states and sequentially dependent failures of the system components and to perform diagnoses, FT has been converted into a Bayesian Net. Moreover, to accommodate repair activity, FT has been converted into a Stochastic Petri Net. Due to the very large space of states of the resulting model, a coloured Petri Net model have been built to alleviate the state explosion problem. Safety measures have been computed, referring to the emergent standard IEC 61508. The applicability, the limits and the main selection criteria of the investigated methods are provided.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Bobbio, S. Bologna, E. Ciancamerla, P. Incalcaterra, C. Kropp, M. Minichino, E. Tronci-Advanced techniques for safety analysis applied to the gas turbine control system of ICARO co generative plant-X Convegno Tecnologie e Sistemi Energetici Complessi "Sergio Stecco"-Genova, Italy, June 21–22, 2001Google Scholar
- 2.IEC61508: Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety related systemsGoogle Scholar
- 3.R. A Sahner, K. S. Trivedi, A. Puliafito-Performance and reliability analysis of computer systems. Kluwer, 1998Google Scholar
- 4.A. Bobbio, L. Portinale, M. Minichino, E. Ciancamerla-Improving the Analysis of Dependable Systems by Mapping Fault Trees into Bayesian Networks-Reliability Engineering and System Safety Journal-vol. 71N.3 March 2001 pages 249–260-ISSN 0951-8320Google Scholar
- 5.S. Bologna, E. Ciancamerla, M. Minichino, A. Bobbio, G. Franceschinis, L. Portinale, and R. Gaeta-"Comparison of methodologies for the safety and dependability assessment of an industrial programmable logic controller", In European Safety Dependability Conference (ESREL2001), pages 411–418, September 2001Google Scholar
- 7.A. Bobbio, G. Franceschinis, L. Portinale, and R. Gaeta-"Dependability Assessment of an Industrial Programmable Logic Controller", International Workshop on Petri Net and Performance Models (PNPM’ 01), pages 29–37, September 2001Google Scholar
- 8.F. V. Jensen-An introduction to Bayesian Networks-UCL Press, 1996Google Scholar