Solving NP-Complete Problems with Networks of Evolutionary Processors
We propose a computational device based on evolutionary rules and communication within a network, similar to that introduced in , called network of evolutionary processors. An NP-complete problem is solved by networks of evolutionary processors of linear size in linear time. Some further directions of research are finally discussed.
KeywordsEvolutionary Step Evolution Rule Underlying Graph Communication Step Node Processor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. Constable, H. Hunt, S. Sahni, On the computational complexity of scheme equivalence, Technical Report No. 74-201, Dept. of Computer Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1974.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Csuhaj-Varju, J. Dassow, J. Kelemen, Gh. Paun-Grammar Systems, Gordon and Breach, 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Csuhaj-Varjú, Networks of parallel language processors. In New Trends in Formal Languages (Gh. Păun, A. Salomaa, eds.), LNCS 1218, Springer Verlag, 1997, 299–318Google Scholar
- 5.L. Errico, C. Jesshope, Towards a new architecture for symbolic processing. In Artificial Intelligence and Information-Control Systems of Robots’ 94 (I. Plander, ed.), World Sci. Publ., Singapore, 1994, 31–40.Google Scholar
- 6.S. E. Fahlman, G. E. Hinton, T. J. Seijnowski, Massively parallel architectures for AI: NETL, THISTLE and Boltzmann machines. In Proc. AAAI National Conf. on AI, William Kaufman, Los Altos, 1983, 109–113.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Garey, D. Johnson, Computers and Intractability. A Guide to the Theory of NP-completeness, Freeman, San Francisco, CA, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.W. D. Hillis, The Connection Machine, MIT Press, Cambridge, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.Gh. Păun, Computing with membranes, J. Comput. Syst. Sci. 61(2000). (see also TUCS Research Report No. 208, November 1998, http://www.tucs.fi.)
- 12.Gh. Păun, G. Rozenberg, A. Salomaa, DNA Computing. New Computing Paradigms, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1998.Google Scholar