On the Optimality of Feautrier’s Scheduling Algorithm
Feautrier’s scheduling algorithm is the most powerful existing algorithm for parallelism detection and extraction. But it has always been known to be suboptimal. However, the question whether it may miss some parallelism because of its design was still open. We show that this is not the case. Therefore, to find more parallelism than this algorithm does, one needs to get rid of some of the hypotheses underlying its framework.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Allen, D. Callahan, and K. Kennedy. Automatic decomposition of scientific programs for parallel execution. In Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pages 63–76, Munich, Germany, Jan. 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.J. R. Allen and K. Kennedy. PFC: A program to convert Fortran to parallel form. Technical Report MASC-TR82-6, Rice University, Houston, TX, USA, 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Darte. De l’organisation des calculs dans les codes répétitifs. Habilitation thesis, ècole normale supérieure de Lyon, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Darte and F. Vivien. Optimal Fine and Medium Grain Parallelism Detection in Polyhedral Reduced Dependence Graphs. Int. J. of Parallel Programming, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Feautrier. Some efficient solutions to the affine scheduling problem, part I: One-dimensional time. Int. J. Parallel Programming, 21(5):313–348, Oct. 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Feautrier. Some efficient solutions to the affine scheduling problem, part II: Multi-dimensional time. Int. J. Parallel Programming, 21(6):389–420, Dec. 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Lamport. The parallel execution of DO loops. Communications of the ACM, 17(2):83–93, Feb. 1974.Google Scholar
- 11.V. Loechner and D. K. Wilde. Parameterized polyhedra and their vertices. International Journal of Parallel Programming, 25(6), Dec. 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.P. Quinton. Automata Networks in Computer Science, chapter The systematic design of systolic arrays. Manchester University Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- 14.F. Vivien. On the Optimality of Feautrier’s Scheduling Algorithm. Technical Report 02-04, ICPS-LSIIT, ULP-Strasbourg I, France, rs http://icps.u-strasbg.fr URL, 2002.Google Scholar
- 15.M. E. Wolf and M. S. Lam. A data locality optimizing algorithm. In SIGPLAN Conference PLDI, pages 30–44. ACM Press, 1991.Google Scholar