Using PR-Tree and HPIR to Manage Coherence of Semantic Cache for Location Dependent Data in Mobile Database
Location dependent data (LDD) is the data whose value is determined by the location to which it is related. In LDD system, caching is a crucial way to improve the performance because a new query can be partially answered locally when the client is continuously moving around. Semantic caching has been paid much attention in traditional database systems. However, the methods of semantic cache management proposed in those systems are not suitable for mobile computing environment. Moreover, although many improved semantic caching strategies for mobile computing application have been proposed in recent years, few papers discussed semantic cache coherence control, which is very important in mobile computing environment. In this paper, we propose PR-tree and HPIR based algorithm, which can significantly reduce the unnecessary uplink requests and downlink broadcasts compared to previous PIR based schemes. Simulation experiments are carried out to evaluate the proposed strategy.
KeywordsLeaf Node Mobile Computing Cache Management Mobile Database Cache Content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Qun Ren, Margaret H. Dunham: Using semantic caching to manage location dependent data in mobile computing. MOBICOM (2000) 210–221Google Scholar
- 2.AY. Seydim, MH. Dunham, V Kumar: Location Dependent Query Processing. MoBiDe (2001) 47–53Google Scholar
- 3.S. Dar, et al: Semantic Data Caching and Replacement. Proc. VLDB (1996) 330–341Google Scholar
- 5.Q Ren, MH. Dunham: Using Clustering for Effective Management of a Semantic Cache in Mobile Computing. MoBiDe (1999) 94–101Google Scholar
- 6.Guohong Cao: A Scalable Low-Latency Cache Invalidation Strategy for Mobile Environments. ACM MOBICOM (2000) 200–209Google Scholar
- 7.D. Barbara and T. Imielinkai, Sleepers and workaholics: Caching strategies for mobile environments. ACM SIGMOD (1994) 1–12Google Scholar
- 9.G. Forman and J. Zahorjan: The Challenges of Mobile Computing. IEEE Computer (1994), 27(6) 38–47Google Scholar
- 10.YD Chung et al: Predicate-based Cache Management for Continuous Partial Match Queries in Mobile Databases. KAIST CS Technical Report CS/TR-2001-163Google Scholar
- 11.P. Godfrey and J. Grys: Semantic query caching in heterogeneous databases. In Proceedings of KRDB at VLDB (1997) 6.1–6.6Google Scholar