An Advanced Discrete Model for Uncertain Spatial Data
This paper presents a discrete model for storing uncertain spatial data in a database. It expands on earlier works on modelling uncertain and vague regions as well as an abstract model of uncertain spatial data developed by the present authors. The model presented in this paper is based on a vector representation of the spatial data and covers uncertain points, uncertain lines and uncertain regions as well as uncertain versions of base types such as integers. Three alternative methods for computing the probabilities associated with uncertain spatial data are included. This paper also describes how to implement two operations with these types.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. de Berg, M. van Kreveld, M. Overmars and O. Schwarzkopf: Computational Geometry: Algorithms and Applications, 2nd edition. Springer, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.G Dutton: Handling Positional Uncertainty in Spatial Databases. SDH’92, vol. 2, pages460–469Google Scholar
- 4.L. Forlizzi, R. H. Güting, E. Nardelli and M. Schneider: A Data Model and Data Structures for Moving Objects Databases. Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management og Data (Dallas, Texas), pp. 319–330, 2000Google Scholar
- 5.R Lagacherie, P. Andrieux and R. Bouzigues (1996): Fuzziness and Uncertainty of Soil Boundaries: From Reality to Coding in GIS: In Geographic Objects with Indeterminate Boundaries, GISDATA series vol. 2, Taylor & Francis, 1996, pages 155–169.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Lowell: An Uncertainty-Based Spatial Representation for Natural Resources Phenomena. SDH’94 vol. 2, pages 933–944.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Schneider: Modelling Spatial Objects with Undeterminate Boundaries using the Realm/ ROSE Approach. In Geographic Objects with Indeterminate Boundaries, GISDATA series vol. 2, Taylor & Francis, 1996, pages 155–169.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Schneider: Fuzzy Spatial Querying Based on Topological Predicates for Complex Crisp and Fuzzy Regions. To be published in Proc. ER2001 Conference, 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Tøssebro and M. Nygård: Representing Uncertainty in Spatial Databases. Submitted for publication. (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.E. Tøssebro and M. Nygård: Uncertainty in Spatiotemporal Databases. Submitted for publication. (2002)Google Scholar
- 1.E. Tøssebro and M. Nygård: A Medium Complexity Discrete Model for Uncertain Spatial Data. To be published. (2002)Google Scholar