A Web-Based Lecture Video Database System with Flexible Indexing Method Using Action Logs
To support video retrieval is the most important issue in Web-based learning environments using video on demand technologies. In conventional systems, to satisfy this requirement has led to the increase of labor or hardware cost. In this paper, we propose the new technique for indexing video records of lectures. The system records various operations on computer together with video data, which will be used for indices. Furthermore, the implementation requires no special hardware device or additional work of teachers. Thus, this method can realize both improvement of search-ability and cost reduction. The system has already been used actually in Kyoto Women’s University and can be evaluated by results achieved there.
KeywordsVideo Stream Time Stamp Conventional System Multimedia Data Hardware Resource
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G.D. Abowd, C.G. Atkeson, J.A. Brotherton, T. Enqvist, P. Gulley, and J. Lemon, “Investigating the Capture, Integration and Access Problem of Ubiquitous Computing in Educational Setting”, Proceedings of ACM CHI’98, pp. 440–447, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.J.A. Brotherton, J.R. Bhalodia, and G.D. Abowd, “Automated Capture, Integration, and Visualization of Multiple Media Streams”, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Ginsberg, P. Hodge, T. Lindstrom, B. Sampieri, and D. Shiau, “The Little Web Schoolhouse: Using Virtual Rooms to Create a Multimedia Distance Learning Environment”, Proceedings of ACM Multimedia’98, pp. 89–98, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.L. He, J. Grudin, and A. Gupta, “Designing Presentations for On-Demand Viewing”, Proceedings of ACM CSCW 2000, pp. 127–134, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Bacher and R. Muller, “Generalized Replay of Multi-Streamed Authored Documentsrd, Proceedings of ED-MEDIA’98, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Stifelman, B. Arons, and C. Schmandt, “The Audio Notebook: Paper and Pen Interaction with Structured Speech”, Proceedings of ACM CHI 2001, pp.182–189, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Whittaker, J. Hirsberg, J. Choi, D. Hindle, F. Pereira, and A. Singhal, “SCAN: Designing and Evaluating User Interfaces to Support Retrieval from Speech Archives”, Proc. of ACM SIGIR’99, pp.26–34, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Hatanaka, A. Okada, and Y. Kambayashi, “Implementation for Lecture Records in VIEW Classroom”, Proceedings of Swiss-Japan Seminar on Multimedia Databases, pp.10–16, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Kambayashi, A. Hatanaka, A. Okada, and M. Yuriyama, “Extensive Interaction Support in Distance Education Systems Utilizing Action History Views”, Journal of Informatica, vol.24, No.1, pp.3–11, 2000.Google Scholar