Computational Complexity in the Hyperbolic Plane
This paper presents simulation and separation results on the computational complexity of cellular automata (CA) in the hyperbolic plane. It is shown that every t(n)-time nondeterministic hyperbolic CA can be simulated by an O(t 3(n))-time deterministic hyperbolic CA. It is also shown that for any computable functions t 1 (n) and t 2 (n) such that limn→∞(t 1(n))3/t 2(n) = 0, t 2(n)-time hyperbolic CA are strictly more powerful than t 1(n)-time hyperbolic CA. This time hierarchy holds for both deterministic and nondeterministic cases. As for the space hierarchy, hyperbolic CA of space s(n) + ε(n) are strictly more powerful than those of space s(n) if ε(n) is a function not bounded by O(1).
Keywordscellular automata hyperbolic geometry complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Hartmanis, P.M. Lewis II, and R.E. Stearns, Hierarchies of memory limited computations, in: Proc. IEEE Symp. on Switching Circuit Theory and Logical Design, 1965, 179–190.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Iwama and C. Iwamoto, Improved time and space hierarchies of one-tape offline TMs, in: Proc. Int’l Symp. on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science (LNCS1450), 1998, 580–588.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Iwamoto, T. Hatsuyama, K. Morita, and K. Imai, Constructible functions in cellular automata and their applications to hierarchy results, Theor. Comput. Sci. 2701/2 (2002) 797–809. (Preliminary version: Proc. 12th Int’l Symp. on Fundamentals of Computation Theory (LNCS1684), 1999, 316–326.)zbMATHMathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.C. Iwamoto, M. Margenstern, K. Morita, and T. Worsch, P = NP in the space of CA of the hyperbolic plane, Presentation at the 7th Int’l Workshop on Cellular Automata, Automata 2001 (IFIP WG 1.5), Hyères, France, September, 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Loryś, New time hierarchy results for deterministic TMs, in: Proc. Int’l Symp. on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (LNCS577), 1992, 329–336.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Margenstern and K. Morita, NP problems are tractable in the space of cellular automata in the hyperbolic plane, Technical report, Publications of the I.U.T. of Metz, 38p. 1998. (Journal version: Theor. Comput. Sci. 259 (2001) 99–128.)Google Scholar