Application-Oriented Flow Control in Agent-Based Network Middleware
In this paper, we propose a new architecture of the global communication networks, the Dynamic Networking Architecture. In the proposed architecture, a new network middleware called Flexible Network Layer (FNL) is introduced between the application layer and the transport layer to enhance the capabilities of communication networks by dealing with various changes detected in human users, applications, platforms and networked environment. To realize the FNL, we adopt an agent-based computing framework as a software infrastructure to develop and manage various components and related knowledge of the FNL. In this paper we give an internal architecture and agent-based design of the FNL. We also show an experimental application using the FNL, the Dynamic Flow Control Application, which performs the user-oriented flow control, to discuss the characteristics and effectiveness of the proposed architecture.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Shiratori, K. Sugawara, T. Kinoshita and G. Chakraborty: Flexible networks: Basic concepts and architecture. IEICE Trans. Commun, E77-B(11), (1994) 1287–1294Google Scholar
- 2.T. Suganuma, T. Kinoshita and N. Shiratori: Flexible Network Layer in Dynamic Networking Architecture. Proc. of International Workshop on Flexible Network and Cooperative Distributed Agents (FNCDA2000), (2000) 473–478Google Scholar
- 3.K. Geihs: Middleware Challenges Ahead. IEEE Computer, Vol. 34, No. 6, (2001) 24–31Google Scholar
- 5.J. Wroclawski: The Use of RSVP with IETF Integrated Services. IETF Request for Comments 2210, (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.S. Blake, D. Black, M. Carlson, E. Davies, Z. Wang, W. Weiss: An Architecture for Differentiated Service. IETF Request for Comments 2475, (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.R. Braden, Ed., L. Zhang, S. Berson, S. Herzog, S. Jamin: Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP)-Version 1 Functional. IETF Request for Comments 2205, (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.H. Hara, S. Konno, K. Sugawara and T. Kinoshita: Design and Implementation of Training-system for Agent Framework TAF. Proc. of Workshop on Software Agent and its Applications (SAA2000), (2001) 183–190 (In Japanese)Google Scholar