Computing the Quartet Distance between Evolutionary Trees in Time O(n log2n)
Evolutionary trees describing the relationship for a set of species are central in evolutionary biology, and quantifying differences between evolutionary trees is an important task. One previously proposed measure for this is the quartet distance. The quartet distance between two unrooted evolutionary trees is the number of quartet topology differences between the two trees, where a quartet topology is the topological subtree induced by four species. In this paper, we present an algorithm for computing the quartet distance between two unrooted evolutionary trees of n species in time O(n log2 n). The previous best algorithm runs in time O(n 2).
KeywordsInternal Node Evolutionary Tree External Edge Hierarchical Decomposition Unrooted Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.G. S. Brodal, R. Fagerberg, C. N. S. Pedersen, and A. Östlin. The complexity of constructing evolutionary trees using experiments. In Proc. 28th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming, volume 2076 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 140–151. Springer-Verlag, 2001.MATHGoogle Scholar
- 5.D. Bryant, J. Tsang, P. E. Kearney, and M. Li. Computing the quartet distance between evolutionary trees. In Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pages 285–286, N. Y., Jan. 9–11 2000. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Buneman. The recovery of trees from measures of dissimilairty. Mathematics in Archeological and Historial Sciences, pages 387–395, 1971.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Gusfield. Algorithms on Strings, Trees, and Sequences: Computer Science and Computational Biology. Cambridge University Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.D. F. Robinson and L. R. Foulds. Comparison of weighted labelled trees. In Combinatorial mathematics, VI (Proc. Sixth Austral. Conf., Univ. New England, Armidale, 1978), Lecture Notes in Mathematics, pages 119–126. Springer, Berlin, 1979.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Steel and D. Penny. Distribution of tree comparison metrics-some new results syst. Syst. Biol., 42(2):126–141, 1993.Google Scholar