Randomized Shared Queues Applied to Distributed Optimization Algorithms
This paper presents a specification of a randomized shared queue that can lose some elements or return them out of order, and shows that the specification can be implemented with the probabilistic quorum algorithm of ,. Distributed algorithms that incorporate the producer-consumer style of interprocess communication are candidate applications for using random shared queues in lieu of the message queues. The modified algorithms will inherit positive attributes concerning load and availability from the underlying queue implementation. The behavior of a generic combinatorial optimization algorithm, when it is implemented using random queues, is analyzed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aldous, D., Vazirani, U.: “Go With the Winners” Algorithms. Proc. 35th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 492–501, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Chakrabarti, S., Ranade, A., Yelick, K.: Randomized Load Balancing for Treestructured Computation. Proc. IEEE Scalable High Performance Comp. Conf., pp. 666–673, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, H., Welch, J. L.: Applications of Probabilistic Quorums to Iterative Algorithms. Proc. 21st IEEE Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 21–28, 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.Malkhi, D., Reiter, M.: Byzantine Quorum Systems. Proc. 29th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, pp. 569–578, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.Malkhi, D., Reiter, M., Wright, R.: Probabilistic Quorum Systems. Proc. 16th ACM Symp. on Principles of Dist. Comp., pp. 267–273, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.Motwani, R., Raghavan, P.: Randomized Algorithms, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.Peinado, M., Lengauer, T.: Parallel ‘Go with the Winners’ Algorithms in the LogP Model. Proc. IPPS 97, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Rabin, M. O.: Randomized Byzantine Generals. Proc. 24th Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 403–409, 1983.Google Scholar
- 10.Yelick, K. et al.: Parallel Data Structures for Symbolic Computation. Workshop on Parallel Symbolic Languages and Systems, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.Yelick, K. et al.: Data Structures for Irregular Applications. DIMACS Workshop on Parallel Algorithms for Unstructured and Dynamic Problems, June 1993.Google Scholar