Real-Time Pedestrian Detection Using Support Vector Machines
In this paper, we present a real-time pedestrian detection system in outdoor environments. It is necessary for pedestrian detection to implement obstacle and face detection which are major parts of a walking guidance system. It can discriminate pedestrian from obstacles, and extract candidate regions for face detection and recognition. For pedestrian detection, we have used stereo-based segmentation and SVM (Support Vector Machines), which has superior classification performance in binary classification case (e.g. object detection). We have used vertical edges, which can extracted from arms, legs, and the body of pedestrians, as features for training and detection. The experiments on a large number of street scenes demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed for pedestrian detection system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kang, S., Lee, S.-W.: Hand-held Computer Vision System for the Visually Impaired. Proc. of the 3rd International Workshop on Human-friendly Welfare Robotic, Daejeon, Korea, January (2002) 43–48Google Scholar
- 2.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks, Prentice Hall, NJ, (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Sung, K.-K., Poggio, T.: Example-Based Learning for View-Based Human Face Detection. A. I. Memo 1521, AI Laboratory, MIT (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhao, L., Thorpe, C.: Stereo-and Neural-Based Pedestrian Detection. Proc. of Internationl IEEE Conference on Intellegent Transprtation Systems, Tokyo, Japan, October. (1999) 5–10Google Scholar
- 5.Konolige, K: Small Vision Systems: Hardware and Implementation. Proc. of 8th International Symposium on Robotics Research, Hayama, October (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Haritaoglu, I., Harwood, D., Davis, L. S.: W4: Who? When? Where? What? A Real Time System for Detecting and Tracking People. Proc. of International Conference on Face and Gesture Recognition, Nara, Japan, April (1998) 222–227Google Scholar
- 8.Haritaoglu, I., Harwood, D., Davis, L. S.: Hydra: Multiple People Detection and Tracking Using Silhouettes. Proc. of 2nd IEEE Workshop on Visual Surveillance, Fort Collins, Colorado, June (1999) 6–13Google Scholar
- 10.Darrell, T., Gordon, G., Harville, M., Woodfill, J.: Integrated Person Tracking Using Stereo, Color, and Pattern Detection. Proc. of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Santa Barbara, California (1998) 601–608Google Scholar
- 12.Oren, M., Papageorgiou, C., Sinha, P., Osuna, E., Poggio, T.: Pedestrian Detection Using Wavelet Templates. Proc. of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Juan, Puerto Rico (1997) 193–199Google Scholar