Sparse Correlation Kernel Analysis and Evolutionary Algorithm-Based Modeling of the Sensory Activity within the Rat’s Barrel Cortex
This paper presents a new paradigm for signal decomposition and reconstruction that is based on the selection of a sparse set of basis functions. Based on recently reported results, we note that this framework is equivalent to approximating the signal using Support Vector Machines. Two different algorithms of modeling sensory activity within the barrel cortex of a rat are presented. First, a slightly modified approach to the Independent Component Analysis (ICA) algorithm and its application to the investigation of Evoked Potentials (EP), and second, an Evolutionary Algorithm (EA) for learning an overcomplete basis of the EP components by viewing it as probabilistic model of the observed data. The results of the experiments conducted using these two approaches as well as a discussion concerning a possible utilization of those results are also provided.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Basis Function Input Signal Independent Component Analysis Independent Component Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Barlow, H. B.: Possible principles underlying the transformations of sensory messages. In: Rosenblith, W. A. (ed.): Sensory Communication. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA (1961) 217–234Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, S., Donoho, D. L., and Saunders, M. A.: Atomic decomposition by basis pursuit. Technical report, Dept. Stat., Stanford University (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Olshausen, B.: Sparse codes and spikes. In: Rao, R. P. N., Olshausen, B. A., Lewicki, M. S. (eds.): Probabilistic Models of Perception and Brain Function. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Milanova, M., Wachowiak, M., Rubin, S., and Elmaghraby, A.: A Perceptual Learning Model on Topological Representation. Proc. of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Washington, DC, July 15–19 (2001) 406–411Google Scholar
- 12.Freeman, W. J.: Measurement of Cortical Evoked Potentials by Decomposition of their Wave Forms. J. of Cybernetics and Information Science, 2-4 (1979) 22–56Google Scholar
- 16.Makeig, S., et al.: ICA Toolbox Tutorial. Available: http://www.cnl.salk.edu/~scott/tutorial/
- 18.Yoshioka, M. and Omatu, S.: Independent Component Analysis using time delayed sampling. Presented at the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Como, Italy, July 24–27 (2000)Google Scholar
- 19.Kublik, E. and Musial, P.: Badanie ukladow czuciowych metoda potencjalow wywolanych (in Polish). Kosmos 46 (1997) 327–336Google Scholar