A Compositional Approach to Connector Construction
We develop a notion of higher-order connector towards supporting the systematic construction of architectural connectors for software design. The idea is that individual properties of connectors, such as security and fault-tolerance, can be designed separately as higher-order connectors. Complex connectors can then be described as suitable combinations of higher-order connectors and basic connectors. We use CommUnity, a Unitylike parallel program design language that we have been using for formalising aspects of architectural design, for illustrating our approach to the compositional construction of connectors and also to motivate the categorical semantics of higher-order connectors that we propose.
KeywordsSoftware Architecture Private Action Compositional Approach Private Variable Program Design Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. Chandy and J. Misra, Parallel Program Design-A Foundation, Addison-Wesley 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Denker, J. Meseguer and C. Talcott, “Rewriting semantics of meta-objects and composable distributed services”, Internal report, Computer Science Laboratory, SRI International, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.J.L. Fiadeiro, A. Lopes and M. Wermelinger, "A Mathematical Semantics for Architectural Connectors". Submitted for publication (available at http://www.fiadeiro.org/jose/papers)
- 5.J.L. Fiadeiro and A. Lopes, "Algebraic Semantics of Coordination, or what is in a signature?", in AMAST’98, A. Haeberer (ed), LNCS 1548, Springer-Verlag 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.J.L. Fiadeiro and A. Lopes, "Semantics of Architectural Connectors", in TAPSOFT’97, LNCS 1214, Springer-Verlag 1997, 505–519.Google Scholar
- 7.N. Francez and I. Forman, Interacting Processes, Addison-Wesley 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Garlan, "Higher-Order Connectors", Presented at the Workshop on Compositional Software Architectures, Monterey, CA, January 6–7, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Garlan and B. Spitznagel, "Toward compositional construction of complex connectors", Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE-8), November 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.N. Mehta, N. Medvidovic and S. Phadke, "Towards a taxonomy of software connectors", Proc. of 22nd International Conference on Software Engineering, ACM Press, 2000, 178–187.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Wermelinger, A. Lopes and J.L. Fiadeiro, "Superposing Connectors", in Proc. 10th International Workshop on Software Specification and Design, IEEE Computer Society Press 2000, 87–94. (also available at http://ctp.di.fct.unl.pt/~mw/proj/fast/index.html)
- 15.M. Wermelinger, A. Lopes and J.L. Fiadeiro, "A Graph Based Architectural (Re)configuration Language", Proc. ESEC/FSE’01, ACM Press, 2001. In print.Google Scholar