Getting More from Out-of-Core Columnsort
We describe two improvements to a previous implementation of out-of-core columnsort, in which data reside on multiple disks. The first improvement replaces asynchronous I/O and communication calls by synchronous calls within a threaded framework. Experimental runs show that this improvement reduces the running time to approximately half of the running time of the previous implementation. The second improvement uses algorithmic and engineering techniques to reduce the number of passes over the data from four to three. Experimental evidence shows that this improvement yields modest performance gains. We expect that the performance gain of this second improvement increases when the relative speed of processing and communication increases with respect to disk I/O speeds. Thus, as processing and communication become faster relative to I/O, this second improvement may yield bettor results than it currently does.
KeywordsSingle Thread Previous Implementation Interprocessor Communication Phase Pass Read Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chaudhry, G., Cormen, T.H., Wisniewski, L.F.: Columnsort lives! An officient out-of-core sorting program. In: Proceedings of the Thirteenth Annual ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures. (2001) 169–178Google Scholar
- 3.Arpaci-Dusseau, A.C., Arpaci-Dusseau, R.H., Culler, D.E., Hellerstein, J.M., Patterson, D.A.: High-performance sorting on networks of workstations. In: SIGMOD’ 97. (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Snir, M., Otto, S.W., Huss-Lederman, S., Walker, D.W., Dongarra, J.: MPI—The Complete Reference, Volume 1, The MPI Core. The MIT Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Gropp, W., Huss-Lederman, S., Lumsdaine, A., Lusk, E., Nitzberg, B., Saphir, W., Snir, M.: MPI The Complete Reference, Volume 2. The MPI Extensions. The MIT Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Schnorr, C.P., Shamir, A.: An optimal sorting algorithm for mesh connected computers. In: Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing. (1986) 255–263Google Scholar