CRYPTIM: Graphs as Tools for Symmetric Encryption
A combinatorial method of encryption is presented. The general idea is to treat vertices of a graph as messages and walks of a certain length as encryption tools. We study the quality of such an encryption in case of graphs of high girth by comparing the probability to guess the message (vertex) at random with the probability to break the key, i.e. to guess the encoding walk. In fact the quality is good for graphs which are close to the Erdös bound, defined by the Even Cycle Theorem. We construct special linguistic graphs of afine type whose vertices (messages) and walks (encoding tools) could be both naturally identified with vectors over GF(q), and neighbors of the vertex defined by a system of linear equations. For them the computation of walks has a strong similarity with the classical scheme of linear coding. The algorithm has been implemented and tested.
Keywordscryptography constructive combinatorics data communication networks security privacy e-commerce virtual campus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N.L. Biggs, Graphs with large girth, Ars Combinatoria, 25C (1988), 73–80.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Bollobás, Extremal Graph Theory, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Fonua, V. Ustimenko and D. Sharma, A System for Secure data Transmission within Corporate Networks: A Case Study of USPNetMSc Thesis-in progress, Department of Mathematics and Computing, 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Landau. Standing the Test of Time:The Data Encryption Standard, Notices of the AMS, March 2000, pp 341–349.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Lazebnik, V. A. Ustimenko and A. J. Woldar, A New Series of Dense Graphs of High Girth, Bull (NewSeries) of AMS, v.32, N1, (1995), 73–79.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Lubotzky, Discrete Groups, Expanding graphs and Invariant Measures, Progr. in Math., 125, Birkhoiser, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.V. A. Ustimenko, Random Walks on special graphs and Cryptography, AMS Meeting, Louisville, March, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.V. A. Ustimenko, Coordinatization of regular tree and its quotients, In the volume “Voronoi’s Impact in Modern Science”: (Proceedings of Memorial Voronoi Conference, Kiev, 1998), Kiev, IM AN Ukraine, July, 1998, pp. 125–152.Google Scholar
- 11.V. Ustimenko and D. Sharma, Special Graphs in Cryptographyin Proceedings of 2000 International Workshop on Practice and Theory in Public Key Cryptography (PKC 2000), Melbourne, December 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.V. Ustimenko and D. Sharma, CRYPTIM: a system to encrypt text and image data in E-commerce for the South Pacific, Proceedings of International ICSC Symposium on Multi Agents and Mobile Agents in Virtual Organizations and E-Commerce (MAMA 2000). December 11–13, Wollongong, Australia.Google Scholar