A Visual Method of Cluster Validation with Fastmap
This paper presents a visual method of cluster validation using the Fastmap algorithm. Two problems are tackled with Fastmap in the interactive process of discovering interesting clusters from real world databases. That is, (1) to verify separations of clusters created by a clustering algorithm and (2) to determine the number of clusters to be produced. They are achieved through projecting objects and clusters by Fastmap to the 2D space and visually examining the results by humans. We use a real example to show how this method has been used in discovering interesting clusters from a real data set.
Key WordsData mining Clustering Cluster validation Cluster visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Agra98]Agrawal, R., Gehrke, J, Gunopulos, D. and Raghavan, P. (1998) Automatic subspace clustering of high dimensional data for data mining applications. In Proceedings of SIGMOD Conference.Google Scholar
- [Este96]Ester, M., Kriegel, H.-P., Sander, J. and Xu, X. (1996) A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Discovery in Databases and Data Mining, Portland, Oregon, USA.Google Scholar
- [Falo95]Faloutsos, C. and Lin, K., (1995) Fastmap: a fast algorithm for indexing, data-mining and visualization of traditional and multimedia datasets. In Proceedings of ACM-SIGMOD, pp. 163–174.Google Scholar
- [Fuku90]Fukunaga, K. (1990) Introduction to Statistical Pattern Recognition. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- [Gant99]Ganti, V., Ramakrishnan, R., Gehrke, J, Powell, A. L. and French, J. C. (1999) Clustering large datasets in arbitrary metric spaces. ICDE 1999, pp. 502–511.Google Scholar
- [Jain88]Jain, A. K. and Dubes, R. C. (1988) Algorithms for Clustering Data. Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- [NgHa94]Ng, R. and Han, J. (1994) Efficient and effective clustering methods for spatial data mining. In Proceedings of VLDB, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Theo99]Theodoridis, S. and Koutroumbas, K. (1999) Pattern Recognition. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- [Youn87]Young, F. W. (1987) Multidimensional Scaling: History, Theory and Applications. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.Google Scholar