An Ant Algorithm with a New Pheromone Evaluation Rule for Total Tardiness Problems
Ant Colony Optimization is an evolutionary method that has recently been applied to scheduling problems. We propose an ACO algorithm for the Single Machine Total Weighted Tardiness Problem. Compared to an existing ACO algorithm for the unweighted Total Tardiness Problem our algorithm has several improvements. The main novelty is that in our algorithm the ants are guided on their way to good solutions by sums of pheromone values. This allows the ants to take into account pheromone values that have already been used for making earlier decisions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Bauer, B. Bullnheimer, R.F. Hartl, C. Strauss: An Ant Colony Optimization Approach for the Single Machine Total Tardiness Problem; in: Proceedings of the 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC99), 6–9 July Washington D.C., USA, 1445–1450, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.R.K. Congram, C.N. Potts, S. L. van de Velde: An iterated dynasearch algorithm for the single-machine total weighted tardiness scheduling problem; submitted to INFORMS Journal on Computing.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Dorigo, G. Di Caro: The ant colony optimization meta-heuristic; in: D. Corne, M. Dorigo, F. Glover (Eds.), New Ideas in Optimization, McGraw-Hill, 1999, 11–32.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Forsyth, A. Wren: An Ant System for Bus Driver Scheduling; Report 97.25, University of Leeds-School of Computer Studies, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Michels, M. Middendorf: An Ant System for the Shortest Common Supersequence Problem; in: D. Corne, M. Dorigo, F. Glover (Eds.), New Ideas in Optimization, McGraw-Hill, (1999) 692–701.Google Scholar
- 13.T. Stützle: An ant approach for the flow shop problem; in Proc. of the 6th European Congress on Intelligent Techniques & Soft Computing (EUFIT’ 98), Vol. 3, Verlag Mainz, Aachen, 1560–1564, 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.http://mscmga.ms.ic.ac.uk/jeb/orlib/wtinfo.html.Google Scholar