On the Integrality Gap of a Natural Formulation of the Single-sink Buy-at-Bulk Network Design Problem
We study two versions of the single sink buy-at-bulk network design problem. We are given a network and a single sink, and several sources which demand a certain amount of flow to be routed to the sink. We are also given a finite set of cable types which have different cost characteristics and obey the principle of economies of scale. We wish to construct a minimum cost network to support the demands, using our given cable types. We study a natural integer program formulation of the problem, and show that its integrality gap is O(k), where k is the number of cable types. As a consequence, we also provide an O(k)-approximation algorithm.
KeywordsShort Path Approximation Algorithm Steiner Tree Network Design Problem Integer Program Formulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Andrews, M., Z hang, L.: The access network design problem. Proc. of the 39th Ann. IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 42–49, October 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Awerbuch, B., Azar, Y.: Buy at bulk network design. Proc. 38th Ann. IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 542–547, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Bartal, Y.: On approximating arbitrary metrics by tree metrics. Proc. 30th Ann. ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Garg, N., Khandekar, R., Konjevod, G., Ravi, R., Salman, F.S., Sinha, A.: A mathematical formulation of a transportation problem with economies of scale. Carnegie Bosch Institute Working Paper 01–1, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.Guha, S., M eyerson, A., Munagala, K.: Improved combinatorial algorithms for single sink edge installation problems. To appear in Proc. 33rd Ann. ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.Guha, S., Meyerson, A., Munagala, K.: Heirarchical placement and network design problems. Proc. 41st Ann. IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Sciece, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.Hassin, R., R avi, R., Salman, F.S.: Approximation algorithms for a capacitated network design problem. Proc. of the APPROX 2000, 167–176, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.Mansour, Y., P eleg, D.: An approximation algorithm for minimum-cost network design. The Weizman Institute of Science, Rehovot, 76100 Israel, Tech. Report CS94-22, 1994; Also presented at the DIMACS workshop on Robust Communication Networks, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.Meyerson, A., Munagala, K., Plotkin, S.: Cost-distance: Two metric network design. Proc. 41st Ann. IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.Ravi, R., Salman, F.S.: Approximation algorithms for the traveling purchaser problem and its variants in network design. Proc. of the European Symposium on Algorithms, 29–40, 1999.Google Scholar