A Knowledge Based System for the Maintenance of Chemical Plants and Its Implementation Using OPTRANS
This paper presents MAIC a knowledge-based decision support system for the maintenance of chemical plant equipment. The main functions of the system are: - The management of information concerning the components of pieces of equipment together with the corresponding corrosion agents and critical factors for this component. - A case based reasoning and retrieval function to search the corrosion case database for similar cases. - Several knowledge-based functions to support the economic assessment of a technically feasible solution.
The last part of the paper describes the conceptual framework of the OPTRANS development environment which was used to develop MAIC and which gives it many of its interesting features.
keywordschemical plant construction & maintenance case-base reasoning expert-system knowledge based DSS coupling case-base and deductive reasoning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boudis M., Simulation et Systèmes à Base de connaissances, Thesis, Université Pierre Mendés-France, Grenoble, 11 march 1997.Google Scholar
- Cristaldi L. Orsini G., Sistema Esperto Materiali, Metallurgica Italiana Vol 84 no3 Mar 1992, p.249–254Google Scholar
- Engelmore R. S., Morgan A. J. Conclusion, in Blackboard Systems, Engelmore and Morgan (Eds) Addison Wesley, 1988.Google Scholar
- Farina C. A. Felicioli G., Grassini U., Salvà, D., Verzotto F., Corrosion Control Software and Non Destructive Testing, International Conference Corrosion in Natural and Industrial Environments, NACE Grado, Italy, May 1995Google Scholar
- Farina C. Mininni S., DOCES: an expert system for material damage in boilers, Proceedings of the 11th International Corrosion Congress, Florence 1990, vol. 3Google Scholar
- Gerven T, Gurnia H., Schlagner W., Wissenbasiertes System zur Lochkorrosion, Werkstoffe und Korrosion, vol 44, 10 Oct 1993, p426–430.Google Scholar
- Klein Michel, Methlie Leif, Knowledge Based DSS, John Wiley 1995Google Scholar
- Klein Michel, OPTRANS Object, Manuel d’introduction Decision Systems Research, 4 rue de la Libération, 78350 Jouy-en-Josas, France.1997Google Scholar
- Klein Michel, Using OPTRANS Objet: a Knowledge Based DSS development Environment to design KB-DSS applications, Proceedings Information Systems Architecture and Technology (ISAT’97), octo. 1997 Wroclaw Techn. University.Google Scholar
- Klein Michel, Traunmüller Rolland, User Interface of knowledge based DSS Development Environment, Some Further Developments in Data Base and Expert Systems Applications, Proceedings 4 th International Conference, DEXA, 1993, V. Marik, J. Lazansky, R. Wagner, (Eds), Springer Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1993Google Scholar
- Klein Michel, Research Issues for Second Generation knowledge based DSS in Decision Support Systems, Proceedings NATO Advanced Studies Institute, (Holsapple & Winston, eds) Springer, Computer and System Science no 101, 1993Google Scholar
- Klein M. OPTRANS Object a knowledge based DSS development environment, proceedings of the conference “Futures in Information Systems and Software Engineering Research”, Bernd G. Lundberg (Ed), Dept of Computer and System Science Stockholm University and Royal Institute of Technology, April 1999.Google Scholar
- Klein M, Grubström R., Using Optrans as a tool to implement DSS for production management, European Journal of Operational Research, 1998.Google Scholar
- Pieri G, Klein M, et als, Knowledge-Based Maintenance of Chemical Plants, communication. 11 th Seminar on Production Economics, Igls, Austria, 2000.Google Scholar
- Stefik Marc, Introduction to Knowledge Systems, Morgan Kaufman, 1995.Google Scholar
- Stuchlik, Mixed Paradigm reasoning in a knowledgte based System for Manufacturing Planning, in Proceedings Information Systems Architecture and Technology, ISAT 94 Bazewicz, (Eds), Technical University of Wroclaw 1994Google Scholar
- Waeyenbergh G., Pintelon L., Knowledge Based Maintenance, paper presented at the 11 th International Working Seminar on Production Economics, Igls/Innsbruck, Austria, February 21-25, 2000Google Scholar
- William, G. P., Sawyer, J. G. What causes ammonia plant Shut-down ?, CEP, Vol, 70, No 2, 1974Google Scholar