Part of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 2122)
The Nearest Neighbor
The nearest neighbor problem is defined as follows: Given a metric space X and a fixed finite subset S ⊂ X of n “sites”, preprocess S and build a data structure so that queries of the following kind can be answered efficiently: Given a point q ∈ X find one of the points p ∈ S closest to q (see Figure 1).
KeywordsVoronoi Diagram Query Point Query Time Query Pattern Voronoi Region
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Alt, L. Heinrich-Litan, U. Hoffmann. Exact ∓∞ nearest neighbor search in high dimensions. Technical report, Institute for Computer Science, FU Berlin, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Arya and D. M. Mount. Approximate nearest neighbor queries in fixed dimensions. In Proc. 4th ACM-SIAM Sympos. Discrete Algorithms, pages 271–280, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Aurenhammer. Voronoi diagrams: A survey of a fundamental geometric data structure. ACM Comput. Surv., 23(3):345–405, Sept. 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Devroye and T. Wagner. Nearest neighbor methods in discrimination. In North-Holland, editor, Handbook of Statistics, volume 2. P.R. Krishnaiah, L.N. Kanal, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Duda and P. Hart. Pattern Classification and Scene Analysis. Wiley, 1973.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Gersho and R. M. Gray. Vector Quantization and Signal Compression. Kluwer Academic Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Heinrich-Litan. PhD thesis, FU Berlin, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 14.P. Indyk. Dimensionality reduction techniques for proximity problems. In Proceedings, ACM Symposium on Data Structures and Algorithms, SODA 2000, pages 371–378, 2000.Google Scholar
- 15.P. Indyk and R. Motwani. Approximate nearest neighbors: Towards removing the curse of dimensionality. In Proc. 30th Annu. ACM Sympos. Theory Comput., page to appear, 1998.Google Scholar
- 19.J. Kleinberg. Two algorithms for nearest-neighbor search in high dimension. In Proc. 29th Annu. ACM Sympos. Theory Comput., pages 599–608, 1997.Google Scholar
- 20.D. Knuth. The art of computer programming. Addison-Wesley, 1973.Google Scholar
- 21.E. Kushilevitz, R. Ostrovsky, and Y. Rabani. Efficient search for approximate nearest neighbor in high dimensional spaces. In Proc. 30th Annu. ACM Sympos. Theory Comput., page to appear, 1998.Google Scholar
- 26.A. W. M. Smeulders and (eds.). Image databases and multi-media search. In Proceedings of the First International Workshop, IDB-MMS ‘96, Amsterdam, 1996. Amsterdam University Press.Google Scholar
- 27.C. J. van Rijsbergen. Information Retrieval. Butterworths, 1979.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2001