An ASM Semantics for UML Activity Diagrams
We provide a rigorous semantics for one of the central diagram types which are used in UML for the description of dynamical system behavior, namely activity diagrams. We resolve for these diagrams some of the ambiguities which arise from different interpretations of UML models. Since we phrase our definition in terms of Abstract State Machines, we define at the same time an interesting subclass of ASMs, offering the possibility to exploit the UML tool support for using these special ASMs in the practice of software design. We apply these Activity Diagram Machines for a succinct definition of the semantics of OCCAM.
KeywordsActivity Node Activity Diagram Abstract State Machine Entry Action Dynamical System Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Booch, J. Rumbaugh, I. Jacobson, The Unified Modeling Language User Guide, Addison Wesley, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Börger, J. Schmid, Composition and Submachine Concepts for Sequential ASMs. Gurevich Festschrift, Proc. CSL’2000 (to appear).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Evans, J-M. Bruel, R. France, K. Lano, B. Rumpe, Making UML Precise, OOPSLA’98 Workshop on “Formalizing UML. Why and How?” October 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Evans, R. France, K. Lano, B. Rumpe, The UML as a formal modeling notation, UML98-Beyond the notation, Springer LNCS, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.R.B. France, A.S. Evans, K.C. Lano, and B. Rumpe, Developing the UML as a formal modeling notation; in Computer Standards and Interfaces: Special Issues on Formal Development Techniques, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Gurevich, Evolving Algebras 1993: Lipari Guide; in E. Börger (Ed.): Specification and Validation Methods, Oxford University Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Harel, M. Politi, Modeling Reactive Systems with Statecharts, McGraw-Hill, 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.Rational Software Corporation, Unified Modeling Language (UML), version 1.3, http://www.rational.com, 1999.
- 12.J. Rumbaugh, I. Jacobson, G. Booch, The Unified Modeling Language Reference Manual, Addison Wesley, 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.UML Notation Guide, 1999. (Published as part of ).Google Scholar
- 14.UML 1.3 Semantics, 1999. (Published as part of ).Google Scholar