Classification of Gene Expression Data in an Ontology
Prediction of gene function from expression profiles is an intriguing problem that has been attempted with both unsupervised clustering and supervised learning methods. By the incorporation of prior knowledge concerning gene function, supervised methods avoid some of the problems with clustering. However, even supervised methods ignore the fact that the functional classes associated with genes are typically organized in an ontology. Hence, we introduce a new supervised method for learning in such an ontology. It is tested on both an artificial data set and a data set containing measurements from human fibroblast cells. We also give an approach for measuring the classification performance in an ontology.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Gene Ontology Consortium. Gene ontology: tool for the unification of biology. Nature Genetics, 25(1):25–29, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Peter Clark and Tim Niblett. The CN2 induction algorithm. Machine Learning, 3(4):261–283, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.Thomas G. Dietterich. Ensemble methods in machine learning. In Proc. of MCS-2000, LNCS 1857, pp. 1–15.Google Scholar
- 6.T. R. Hvidsten, J. Komorowski, A. K. Sandvik, and A. Lægreid. Predicting gene function from gene expressions and ontologies. In Proc. of PSB-2001, pp. 299–310.Google Scholar
- 7.W. R. Iyer, M. B. Eisen, D. T. Ross, G. Schuler, T. Moore, J. C. F. Lee, J. M. Trent, L. M. Staudt, J. Hudson, M. S. Boguski, D. Lashkari, D. Shalon, D. Botstein, and P..O. Brown. The transcriptional program in the response of human fibroblasts to serum. Science, 283:83–87, 1999.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.R. S. Michalski. A theory and methodology of inductive learning. In Michalski, Carbonell, and Mitchell (eds), Machine Learning: An Artificial Intelligence Approach, vol. 1, pp. 83–129. Morgan Kaufmann, 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Shatkay, S. Edwards, W. J. Wilbur, and M. Boguski. Genes, themes and microarrays: Using information retrieval for large-scale gene analysis. In Proc. of ISMB-2000, pp. 317–328.Google Scholar