An Expert System for Microbiological Data Validation and Surveillance
In this work, we describe a system for microbiological laboratory data validation and bacteria infections monitoring. In the following sections we report about the first results we have obtained with a prototype that adopts a knowledge-base approach for identifying critical situations and correspondingly issuing alarms. The knowledge base has been obtained from international standard guidelines for microbiological laboratory practice and from expert suggestions.
KeywordsExpert System Laboratory Expert Knowledge Elicitation Exception Rule Infection History
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Balows, W.J. Hauser,Jr, K.L. Herrmann, H.D. Isenberg, H.J. Shadomy, Manual of Clinical Microbiology, 5°Ed, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, 1991Google Scholar
- 2.E. Lamma, M. Manservigi, P. Mello, A. Nanetti, F. Riguzzi, S. Storari, The Automatic Discovery of Alarm Rules for the Validation of Microbiological Data, IDAMAP2001, London, UKGoogle Scholar
- 3.M. Stefik, Introduction to knowledge systems, Morgan Kaufmann, 1995Google Scholar
- 4.National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS), http://www.nccls.org, Accessed 10 July 2001
- 5.NCCLS, Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Ninth Informational Supplement, M100-S9 Vol. 19 No. 1, January 1999Google Scholar
- 6.Intellicorp, Inc., http://www.intellicorp.com, Accessed 10 July 2001
- 7.World Health Organization, WHONET 5 — Microbiology Laboratory Database Software, WHO/CDS/CSR/DRS/99.1Google Scholar
- 8.M.G. Kahn, S.A. Steib, V.J. Fraser, W.C. Dunghan, An Expert System for Culture-Based Infection control Surveillance, Washington University, 1992Google Scholar
- 9.Theratrac, Biomerieux, http://www.theratrac.com, Accessed 10 July 2001
- 10.Vitek, Biomerieux, http://www.biomerieux.com, Accessed 10 July 2001
- 11.M. Boari, E. Lamma, P. Mello, S. Storari, S. Monesi, An Expert System Approach for Clinical Analysis Result Validation, ICAI 2000,Las Vegas, Nevada, USAGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ministero dell’università e della ricerca scientifica e tecnologica, http://www.murst.it, Accessed 30 June 2001