Communicating Mobile Active Objects in Java
This paper investigates the design and implementation of mobile computations in Java. We discuss various issues encountered while building a Java library that allows active objects to migrate transparently from site to site, while still being able to communicate with each other. Several optimizations are introduced, and a set of benchmarks provides valuable figures about the cost of migration in Java: basic cost of migration with and without remote classloading, migration vs. standard remote method invocation in a typical information retrieval application. Our conclusion is that mobile computations are a viable alternative to remote method invocation for a large domain of Java applications that includes Web-based application.
KeywordsMobile Agent Location Server Active Object Mobile Object Java Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bru99.E Bruneton. Indirection-Free Referencing for Mobile Components. In Proc. of the 1999 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA’99), Madeira Island, Portugal, April 1999.Google Scholar
- Car99.Luca Cardelli. Abstractions for mobile computation. Secure Internet Programming: Security Issues for Mobile and Distributed Objects, LNCS 1603:51–94, 1999.Google Scholar
- Eck98.Bruce Eckel. Thinking in Java. Prentice Hall, 1998.Google Scholar
- Fow85.Robert Joseph Fowler. Decentralized Object Finding Using Forwarding Addresses. PhD thesis, University of Washington, 1985.Google Scholar
- HP99.B. Haumacher and M. Philippsen. More efficient object serialization. In Parallel and Distributed Processing, International Workshop on Java for Parallel and Distributed Computing, pages 718–732, San Juan, Puerto Rico, April 1999. Springer-Verlag. LNCS 1586.Google Scholar
- IC99.M. Izatt and P. Chan. Ajents: Towards an Environment for Parallel, Distributed and Mobile Java Applications. In Proc. of the 1999 Java Grande Conference. ACM, 1999.Google Scholar
- Obj99.ObjectSpace, Inc. ObjectSpace Voyager http://www.objectspace.com/developers/voyager/index.html, 1999.
- Sun98a.Sun Microsystems. Java core reflection, 1998. http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/reflection/index.html.
- Sun98b.Sun Microsystems. Java remote method invocation specification, October 1998. ftp://ftp.javasoft.com/docs/jdk1.2/rmi-spec-JDK1.2.pdf.
- Ven97.Bill Venners. Under the hood: The architecture of aglets. JavaWorld: IDG’s magazine for the Java community, 2(4), April 1997.Google Scholar