A Compact, Thread-Safe Communication Library for Efficient Cluster Computing
- First Online:
We describe a compact, thread-safe communication library for cluster computing. The library provides the most used communication functions, such as point-to-point send/receives and broadcast, scatter and gather collective operations. In addition, our library allows processes running on different processing elements of a cluster to share portions of memory. We show experimental results that demonstrate the library outperforms classical implementations of MPI (mpich) in collective operations and achieves comparable performance in point-to-point communications on Beowulf class workstation clusters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Baker and R. Buyya. Cluster Computing at a Glance. In Rajkumar Buyya, editor, High Performance Cluster Computing, pages 3–47. Prentice Hall, 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Gropp and E. Lusk. The MPI communication library: its design and a portable implementation. In Proceedings of the Scalable Parallel Libraries Conference, pages 160–165. IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1993. Mississippi.Google Scholar
- 3.Al Geist, Adam Beguelin, Jack Dongarra, Weicheng Jiang, Robert Manchek, and Vaidy Sunderam. PVM 3 Users Guide and Reference Manual. Technical report, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, September 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.William D. Gropp and Ewing Lusk. User’s Guide mpich, a Portable Implementation of MPI. Technical Report ANL-96/6, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, A. Geist, R. Manchek, and V. Sunderam. A User’s Guide to PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine). Technical Report TM-11826, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, June 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.W. Richard Stevens. UNIX Network Programming. Prentice Hall, 1999. Second Edition, Vol. 1 and 2.Google Scholar
- 7.S._J. Norton and M. D. DiPasquale. THREADTIME The multithreaded programming guide. Prentice Hall, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Rabenseifner, P. Gottshling, W. E. Nagel, and S. Seidl. Effective performance problem detection of MPI programs on MPP systems: From the global view to the detail. In Proceedings of the ParCo’99 Conference — Parallel Computing, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.Andrews S. Tanenbaum. Computer Networks. Prentice Hall, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.Cray Resarch Inc. Cray C/C++ Reference Manual. Technical Report SR-2196, Cray Research Inc., 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.W.D. Gropp, E. Lusk, N. Doss, and A. Skjellum. An high-performance, portable implementation of the MPI message passing interface standard. Parallel Computing, September 1996.Google Scholar