An Adaptive Recommendation System with a Coordinator Agent
This paper presents a recommendation system with a coordinator agent that is adaptive to its environment. Recommendation systems that suggest items to users are gaining popularity in the field of electronic commerce. Various methods such as collaborative, content-based, and demographic recommendation have been used to analyze and predict the preference of users. According to the characteristic of the application domain, the performance of each method varies. In the proposed system, we introduce a coordinator agent that adaptively changes the weights of each recommendation method to provide combined recommendation appropriate for the given environment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Armstrong R., Freitag D., Joahims T., and Mitchell T., WebWatcher: A learning apprentice for the World Wide Web, Proceedings of the 12th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.Balabanovic M. and Shoham Y., Fab: Content-based, collaborative recommendation, Communications of the ACM, 40(3), 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.Basu C., Hirsh H., and Cohen W., Recommendation as classification: Using social and content-based information in recommendation, Proceedings of the 15th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Billsus, D. and Pazzani, M., Learning collaborative information filters, Proceedings of the International Conference on Machine Learning, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.Breese J., Heckerman D. and Kadie C., Empirical analysis of predictive algorithms for collaborative filtering, Proceedings of the 14th Conference of Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Good N., Schafer J., Konstan J., Borchers A., Sarwar B., Herlocker J. and Riedl J., Combining collaborative filtering with personal agents for better recommendations, Proceedings of the 16th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.Herlocker J., Konstan J., Borchers A., and Riedl J., An algorithmic framework for performing collaborative filtering, Proceedings of the 22nd Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.Konstan J., Miller B., Maltz D., Herlocker J., Gordon L., and Riedl J., GroupLens: Applying collaborative filtering to Usenet news, Communications of the ACM, 40 (3), 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Krulwich B., Lifestyle Finder: Intelligent user profiling using large-scale demographic data, Artificial Intelligence Magazine, 18(2), 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.McJones P., EachMovie collaborative filtering data set, DEC Systems Research Center, http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/eachmovie/, 1997.
- 11.Pazzani M., Muramatsu J. and Billsus D., Syskill & Webert: Identifying interesting web sites, Proceedings of the 13th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.Shardanand U. and Maes P., Social information filtering: Algorithms for automating ‘word of mouth’, Proceedings of the Conference of Human Factors in Computing Systems, 1995.Google Scholar