Efficient Data Reduction for Dominating Set: A Linear Problem Kernel for the Planar Case
Dealing with the NP-complete Dominating Set problem on undirected graphs, we demonstrate the power of data reduction by preprocessing from a theoretical as well as a practical side. In particular, we prove that Dominating Set on planar graphs has a so-called problem kernel of linear size, achieved by two simple and easy to implement reduction rules. This answers an open question from previous work on the parameterized complexity of Dominating Set on planar graphs.
KeywordsPlanar Graph Vertex Cover Tree Decomposition Single Vertex Reduction Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Alber, H. L. Bodlaender, H. Fernau, and R. Niedermeier. Fixed parameter algorithms for planar dominating set and related problems. In Proc. 7th SWAT 2000, Springer-Verlag LNCS 1851, pp. 97–110, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Alber, H. Fan, M. R. Fellows, H. Fernau, R. Niedermeier, F. Rosamond, and U. Stege. Refined search tree technique for dominating set on planar graphs. In Proc. 26th MFCS 2001, Springer-Verlag LNCS 2136, pp. 111–122, 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Alber, H. Fernau, and R. Niedermeier. Parameterized complexity: exponential speed-up for planar graph problems. In Proc. 28th ICALP 2001, Springer-Verlag LNCS 2076, pp. 261–272, 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Alber, H. Fernau, and R. Niedermeier. Graph separators: a parameterized view. In Proc. 7th COCOON 2001, Springer-Verlag LNCS 2108, pp. 318–327, 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.R. G. Downey and M. R. Fellows. Parameterized computational feasibility. In P. Clote, J. Remmel (eds.): Feasible Mathematics II, pp. 219–244. Birkhäuser, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.R. G. Downey and M. R. Fellows. Parameterized Complexity. Monographs in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.M. R. Fellows. Parameterized complexity: the main ideas and some research frontiers. In Proc. 12th ISAAC 2001, Springer-Verlag LNCS 2223, pp. 291–307, 2001.Google Scholar
- 12.T. W. Haynes, S. T. Hedetniemi, and P. J. Slater. Fundamentals of Domination in Graphs. Monographs and textbooks in pure and applied Mathematics Vol. 208, Marcel Dekker, 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.F. S. Roberts. Graph Theory and Its Applications to Problems of Society. SIAM Press 1978. Third printing 1993 by Odyssey Press.Google Scholar
- 16.K. Weihe. Covering trains by stations or the power of data reduction. In Proc. 1st ALEX’98, pp. 1–8, 1998.Google Scholar
- 17.K. Weihe. On the differences between “practical” and “applied” (invited paper). In Proc. WAE 2000, Springer-Verlag LNCS 1982, pp. 1–10, 2001.Google Scholar