Classification-Driven Pathological Neuroimage Retrieval Using Statistical Asymmetry Measures
This paper reports our methodology and initial results on volumetric pathological neuroimage retrieval. A set of novel image features are computed to quantify the statistical distributions of approximate bilateral asymmetry of normal and pathological human brains. We apply memory-based learning method to findt he most-discriminative feature subset through image classification according to predefined semantic categories. Finally, this selected feature subset is used as indexing features to retrieve medically similar images under a semantic-based image retrieval framework. Quantitative evaluations are provided.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. M. Bishop. Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition. Clarendon Press, 1995. ISBN:0198538499.Google Scholar
- 3.L. Devroye, L. Györ., and G. Lugosi. A Probabilistic Theory of Pattern Recognition. Springer-Verlag, London, Paris, Tokyo, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Faloutsos, R. Barber, M. Flickner, J. Hafner, W. Niblack, D. Petkovic, and W. Equitz. Efficient and effective querying by image content. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Guillemaud, M. Sakuma, P. Marais, J. Feldmar, R. Crow, L. DeLisi, A. Zisserman, and M. Brady. Cerebral symmetry analysis from mri scans. Submitted to Psychiatry Research Neuroimaging, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.D. L. G. Hill, P.G. Batchelor, M. Holden, and D. J. Hawkes. Medical image registration. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 46:1–45, 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Liu, R.T. Collins, and W.E. Rothfus. Robust Midsagittal Plane Extraction from Normal andPat hological 3D Neuroradiology Images. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 20(3), March 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Liu, T. Zhao, E.S. Wachman, D.L. Farkas, and T. Kanade. Learning discriminant features in multispectrual biological images. In Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis. submitted, 2001.Google Scholar
- 12.A. W. Moore, D. J. Hill, and M. P. Johnson. An Empirical Investigation of Brute Force to choose Features, Smoothers and Function Approximators. In S. Hanson, S. Judd, and T. Petsche, editors, Computational Learning Theory and Natural Learning Systems, Volume 3. MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Schneider and A.W. Moore. A locally weighted learning tutorial using vizier 1.0. tech. report CMU-RI-TR-00-18, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon, 1997.Google Scholar
- 17.W. Zhang, S. Sclaroff, S. Dickinson, J. Feldman, and S. Dunn. Shape-based indexing in a medical image database. Workshop on Biomedical Image Analysis, pages 221–230, June 1998.Google Scholar