Isogeny Volcanoes and the SEA Algorithm
Recently, Kohel gave algorithms to compute the conductor of the endomorphism ring of an ordinary elliptic curve, given the cardinality of the curve. Using his work, we give a complete description of the structure of curves related via rational ℓ-degree isogenies, a structure we call a volcano. We explain how we can travel through this structure using modular polynomials. The computation of the structure is possible without knowing the cardinality of the curve, and that as a result, we deduce information on the cardinality.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Z. I. Borevitch and I. R. Chafarevitch. Théorie des nombres. Gauthiers-Villars, Paris, 1967.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Chao, O. Nakamura, K. Sobataka, and S. Tsujii. Construction of secure elliptic cryptosystems using CM tests and liftings. In K. Ohta and D. Pei, editors, Advances in Cryptology-ASIACRYPT’98, volume 1514 of Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci., pages 95–109. Springer-Verlag, 1998. Beijing, China.Google Scholar
- 3.J.-M. Couveignes, L. Dewaghe, and F. Morain. Isogeny cycles and the Schoof-Elkies-Atkin algorithm. Research Report LIX/RR/96/03, LIX, April 1996. Available at http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/Labo/Francois.Morain/.
- 4.J.-M. Couveignes and F. Morain. Schoof’s algorithm and isogeny cycles. In ANTS-I, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.D. H. Cox. Primes of the Form x 2 + ny 2. Wiley-Interscience, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Fouquet. Anneau d’endomorphismes et cardinalité des courbes elliptiques: aspects algorithmiques. Thèse, École polytechnique, December 2001. Available at http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/Labo/Mireille.Fouquet/.
- 8.M. Fouquet, P. Gaudry, and R. Harley. An extension of Satoh’s algorithm and its implementation. J. Ramanujan Math. Soc., December 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.S.D. Galbraith, F. Hess, and N.P. Smart. Extending the GHS weil descent attack. http://eprint.iacr.org/, 2001.
- 10.D. Kohel. Endomorphism rings of elliptic curves over finite fields. Phd thesis, University of California, Berkeley, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Lercier. Algorithmique des courbes elliptiques dans les corps finis. Thèse, École polytechnique, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.T. Satoh. The canonical lift of an ordinary elliptic curve over a finite field and its point counting. J. Ramanujan Math. Soc., 15:247–270, December 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Schoof. Counting points on elliptic curves over finite fields. J. Théor. Nombres Bordeaux, 1995.Google Scholar