Experience of Immersive Virtual World Using Cellular Phone Interface
The cellular phone has become a popular portable information device. In this study, the i-mode of the cellular phone was applied to the interface with the immersive virtual world. By using the cellular phone interface, the user can experience the immersive virtual world easily using his own device. The interaction using the i-mode was experimentally evaluated in the walk-through application. In addition, by integrating the cellular phone interface with the transparent immersive projection display, an invisible immersive interface that enables the user to experience the virtual environment in the real work place was constructed. This system was applied to several fields of application such as the visualization of data and the telecommunication.
KeywordsVirtual World Cellular Phone Input Character Interface Device Computer Terminal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cruz-Neira, C., Sandin, D. J., DeFanti, T. A.: Surround-Screen Projection-Based Virtual Reality: The Design and Implementation of the CAVE, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH’93 (1993) 135–142Google Scholar
- 3.Browning, D. R., Cruz-Neira, C., Sandin, D. J., DeFanti, T. A., Edel, J. G.: Input Interfacing to the CAVE by Persons with Disabilities, Virtual Reality and People with Disabilities (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Ogi, T., Watanabe, H., Hirose, M.: Interactive Scientific Visualization in Immersive Virtual Environment, 3rd International Immersive Projection Technology Workshop (IPT99) (1999) 223–230Google Scholar
- 5.Ogi, T., Yamada, T., Kano, M., Yamamoto, K., Hirota, K., Hirose, M.: Multimedia Virtual Laboratory on the Gigabit Network, The Tenth International Conference on Artificial Reality and Telexistence (ICAT2000) (2000) 98–103Google Scholar
- 8.Ogi, T., Yamada, T., Tamagawa, K., Hirose, M.: Video Avatar Communication in Networked Virtual Environment, INET 2000 The Internet Global Summit Proceedings (2000)Google Scholar