Quality Weighted Bit Allocation for Smoother Streaming of Stored FGS Video
In this paper, a Fine Granularity Scalability (FGS) streaming framework together with a Quality Weighted Bit Allocation scheme for enhancement-layer is first proposed to achieve smooth video quality even under channel conditions with a wide range of bandwidth variation. PSNR is used as a quality metric and a theoretical analysis on how to maintain a smooth quality is given. We will show, however, taking advantage of the priori information of the PSNR value of the base-layer reconstructed frames will help in providing a consistent video quality. Simulations show that variance of the PSNR of decode frames decreased a lot with the average PSNR increased.
KeywordsFine Granularity Scalability (FGS) video streaming Quality Weighted Bit Allocation smooth quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. MacCanne, V. Jacobson, and M. Vetterli. “Receiver-driven layered multicast”, Proc. ACM SIGCOMM’96, Oct 1996Google Scholar
- 3.Jianzhong Zhou“Heterogeneous multicasting based on RSVP and QoS filters”, ICCT’ 98. 1998 International Conference on Volume: vol.2, 1998, Page(s): 8–8. vol.2Google Scholar
- 4.S. Bajaj, L. Breslau, and S. Shenkar, “Uniform versus Priority Dropping for layered video”, Proc. ACM SIGCOMM’98, Sep.1998Google Scholar
- 5.Wu-Chi Feng, “Critical bandwidth allocation techniques for stored video delivery across best-effort networks”, Distributed Computing Systems, 2000. Proceedings. 20th International Conference on, 2000, Page(s): 56–63Google Scholar
- 7.Srihari Nelakuditi, Raja R Harinath, Ewa Kusmierek, and Zhi-Li Zhang, “Providing Smoother Quality Layered Video Stream”, NOSSDAV, North Carolina, USA, 2000Google Scholar
- 8.?Despina Saparilla, “Broadcasting and streaming of stored video”, Ph.D thesis, University of Pennsylvania, 2000, http://www.eurecom.fr/saparill.
- 9.Weiping Li, Fan Ling, Xuemin Chen, “Fine Granularity Scalability in MPEG-4 for Streaming Video”, ISCAS 2000-pp.299–302Google Scholar
- 10.M.van, and H. Radha, “Fine Grained Loss Protection for Robust Internet Video Streaming”, San Jose, VCIP, pp.533–545, Jan, 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.FGS verification model version 4.0. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N3317, April, 2000Google Scholar