Protocol and Buffer Design for Multimedia-on-Demand System
A multimedia-on-demand system provides real-time playback of multimedia data transferred over UDP on IP is presented. Data buffer is allocated to overcome multimedia dropout problem. A flow control system is presented which constantly maintains the buffers at or near maximum capacity. Rate adaptation is employed which results in an overall improvement of the quality of the multimedia playback. Analytic analysis of the buffer design problem is presented to minimize startup delay and media quality fluctuation. Other system maintenance protocol is incorporated to minimize the effect of packet lost and nonuniform arrival. Simulation results are presented to demonstrate the efficiency of the developed system.
KeywordsPacket Loss Data Packet Packet Loss Rate Multimedia Data Play Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Xu, W. Woszczyk, Z. Settel, B. Pennycook, R. Rowe, P. Galanter, J. Bary, G. Martin, J. Corey, J. R. Cooperstock, “Real-time streaming of multichannel audio data over Internet,” Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol.48, no.7-8, July–Aug. 2000, pp.627-41.Google Scholar
- E. Bommaiah, K. Guo, M. Hoffmann, S. Paul, “Design and implementation of a caching system for streaming media over the Internet,” Proc. Sixth IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium. RTAS 2000, pp.111-21.Google Scholar
- L. Fang, S. Jitae, C-C J. Kuo, A. G. Tescher, “Streaming of MPEG-4 speech/audio over Internet,” International Conference on Consumer Electronics 1999, pp.300-1.Google Scholar
- R. D. Gloser, M. O’Brien, T. B. Boutell, R. G. Goldberg, “Audio-on-demand communication system” US Patent no. 6151634.Google Scholar
- M. Hofmann, K. Sabnani, “Streaming and broadcasting over the Internet,” Proc. IEEE Conf. on High Performance Switching and Routing 2000, pp.251-6.Google Scholar
- A. Mena, J. Heideman, “An empirical study of real audio traffic,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2000, vol.1, 2000, p.101-10.Google Scholar
- R. Rejaie, Y. Haobo, M. Handley, & D. Estrin, “Multimedia proxy caching mechanism for quality adaptive streaming applications in the Internet,” Proc. MEE INFOCOM 2000, vol.2, 2000, pp.980-9.Google Scholar
- J. Rexford, S. Sen, & A. Basso, “A smoothing proxy service for variable-bit-rate streaming video,” Proc. GLOBECOM’99. vol.3, 1999, pp.1823-9.Google Scholar
- S. Schmid, A. Scott, D. Hutchison, & K. Froitzheim, “QoS based real time audio streaming in IPv6 networks,” Proc. SPIE, vol.3529, 1998, pp.102-13.Google Scholar
- S. Tasaka, M. Kato & K. Nakamura, “TCP versus UDP for media synchronization in PHS Internet access,” IEICE Transactions on Communications, vol.E83-B, no.3, March 2000, pp.713-20.Google Scholar