Color Content Matching of MPEG-4 Video Objects
Color histogram is one of the most widely used visual feature representations the JPEG/MPEG compressed domains, the DC coefficients are used commonly to form the color histograms without fully decompressing the image or the video bit stream. In this paper, we address the issues arising from the adaptation of DC based color histograms to the arbitrarily shaped MPEG-4 video objects. More specifically, we discuss the color space selection, quantization, and histogram computation with the consideration of the specific characteristics of the MPEG-4 video objects. We also propose a method for reducing the chroma keying artifacts that may occur at the boundaries of the objects. The experimental results show that great retrieval performance improvements are achieved by employing the proposed method in the presence of such artifacts.
KeywordsColor Space Color Histogram Retrieval Performance Retrieval Result Boundary Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Chang, W. Kuo, and H. Tsai, “Image Retrieval on Uncompressed and Compressed Domains”, IEEE ICIP, 2000.Google Scholar
- J. Lay and L. Guan, “Image Retrieval Based on Energy Histograms of Low Frequency DCT Coefficients”, IEEE ICASSP, vol. 6, pp. 3009–3012, 1999.Google Scholar
- M. Shneierand and M. Abdel-Mottaleb “Exploiting the JPEG Compression Scheme for Image Retrieval”, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Anal. and Machine Intelligence, pp. 849–853, 1996.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, “MPEG-4 Video VM 12.2”, doc no. M4576, March 1999.Google Scholar
- Del Bimbo, A., “Visual Information Retrieval”, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1999.Google Scholar
- M. Miyahara and Y. Yoshida, “athematical transform of (R,G,B) color data to Munsell (H,V,C) color data,” in SPIE Visual Com. and Image Proc., vol. 1001, pp. 650–657, 1988.Google Scholar
- M. Ferman, S. Krishnamachari, M. Tekalp, M. Abdel-Mottaleb, and R. Mehrotra, “Group of Frames Color Histogram Descriptors for Multimedia Applications”, IEEE ICIP, 2000.Google Scholar
- B. Erol and F. Kossentini, “Automatic Key Video Object Plane Selection Using the Shape Information in the MPEG-4 Compressed Domain”, IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, June 2000.Google Scholar
- R. Brunelli and O. Mich, “On the Use of Histograms for Image Retrieval”, Proceedings of ICMCS, vol. 2, pp. 143–147, 1999.Google Scholar