A Synchronous Fragile Watermarking Scheme for Erroneous Q-DCT Coefficients Detection
In video communications over error prone channels, error concealment techniques are widely applied in video decoder for good subjective image output. However, a damaged MB could be concealed only after it is detected as erroneous. Because of the poor performance of the traditional syntax based error detection schemes, the error concealments thereafter show bad results. Our previous work explored the potential of transmission error detection by fragile watermarking. In this paper, a synchronous fragile watermark based transmission error detection scheme for hybrid decoder is proposed. By watermarking, we enforce a synchronization signal like correlation on Q-DCT coefficients. Thus the decoder could use this pre-forced information for detecting errors. The simulation results show that the erroneous Q-DCT coefficients detection capabilities are largely improved compared to syntax-based scheme.
Keywordswatermarking fragile watermark error detection error resilience video communication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- “Video coding for low bitrate communication”, ITU-T Rec. H.263, Mar. 1996Google Scholar
- “Coding of moving pictures and associated audio for digital storage media at up to about 1.5Mbit/s”, ISO/IEC 11172, Aug. 1993Google Scholar
- Minghua Chen, Yun He and Reginald L. Lagendjik, “Error detection by fragile watermarking”, Proceeding of PCS2001, pp. 287–290, Seoul, April, 2001Google Scholar
- Minghua Chen, Von He, “A watermark based transmission error detection scheme for hybrid decoder”, Journal of Tsinghua University Science and Technology, to appearGoogle Scholar
- Teng Sing Wang, Pao-Chi Chang, Chih-Wei Tang, Hsueh-Ming Hang and Tihao Chiang, “An Error Detection Scheme using Data Embedding for H.263 Compatible Video Coding”, ISO/lEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 MPEG99/N6340 July 2000Google Scholar
- Chih-Wei Tang, Hsueh-Ming Hang, and Tibao Chiang, “A Proposal for Some Non-Security Watermarking Applications”, 1SO/IEC JTCI/SC29/WG11, MPEG991N6339, July 2000Google Scholar
- Keith A. Birney, Thomas R. Fischer, “On the modeling of DCT and subband image data for compression”, IEEE rrunsracaion on image processing, vol. 4. No. 2. Feb. 1995Google Scholar
- ITU-T Study Group 16. TMN8 video codec test model near-term version 8. Q15-B-46. Sunnver; ITU-T, 1997,09Google Scholar