Call-by-Value Separability and Computability
The aim of this paper is to study the notion of separability in the call-by-value setting.
Separability is the key notion used in the Böhm Theorem, proving that syntactically different βη-normal forms are separable in the classical λ-calculus endowed with β-reduction, i.e. in the call-by-name setting.
In the case of call-by-value λ-calculus endowed with β v-reduction and η v-reduction (see Plotkin ), it turns out that two syntactically different βη v-normal forms are separable too, while the notion of β v-normal form and βη v-normal form is semantically meaningful.
An explicit representation of Kleene’s recursive functions is presented. The separability result guarantees that the representation makes sense in every consistent theory of call-by-value, i.e. theories in which not all terms are equals.
KeywordsFree Variable Transitive Closure Recursive Function Congruence Relation Separability Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Barendregt, The Lambda Calculus: its syntax and semantics, North Holland, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.C. Böhm, Alcune proprietà delle forme βν-normali λK-calcolo, Pubblicazioni dell’ istituto per le applicazioni del calcolo, n.696, 1968.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Hyland, A syntactic characterization of the equality in some models of the Lambda calculus, Journal of London Mathematical Society, 1976, pp. 361–370.Google Scholar
- 4.P. J. Landin, The mechanical evaluation of expressions, Computer Journal, 1964.Google Scholar
- 5.L. Paolini, S. Ronchi della Rocca, Call-by-value solvability, Theoretical Informatics and Applications, n.33, 1999, pp. 507–534.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Paolini, La chiamata per valore e la valutazione pigra nel lambda calcolo, Tesi di Laurea, Università degli Studi di Torino, Dip. Informatica, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Plotkin, Call-by-Value, Call-by-Name and the λ-calculus, Theoretical Computer Science, 1975, pp. 125–159.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Ronchi Della Rocca, Notes for the Summer School “Proof and Types”, EDP Sciences, 1993.Google Scholar